UKC

Midge mesh on soulpad tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr Hemlock 14 Jun 2014
I've just bought a soulpad bell tent (5000 ease) for family camping, and I'm concerned about the midge / mozzie net on it. I phoned soulpad before purchasing, and they assured me it was midge-proof, but the mesh size is quite large: I reckon 200 holes per square inch, or holes about 1.8mm square. However, from what I've read, 400 holes per square inch is necessary to keep midges out. The mesh is used on the doors, windows, and also the vents around the pole which cannot be closed off. I'm a bit confused, as the soulpad website contains an account of someone using a similar tent for a 6 month trip in Scotland (including Glen Etive in the summer) but with no mention of midge hell. I can't find any negative reports on the internet either -- so maybe it's fine? With two young kids I'm not keen on finding out it lets midges in the hard way...

If there's anyone on the forums who has used a Soulpad tent in midgey conditions, I'd really like to hear how the tent worked.

Thanks

Tom
OP Dr Hemlock 16 Jun 2014
Bump.

Any opinions as to whether 1.8mmsquare holes are big enough to let midges in? Just looking at the mesh -- I'm sure it must be the case.

I just don't understand how this guy coped with the midges though:
http://soulpad.co.uk/news/months-in-scotland-4000-ease-review

Tom

Siward 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Dr Hemlock:

1.8 mm holes will, I'm afraid, let millions of midges in!

Perhaps buy some netting from pennine outdoor or similar and sew or glue it over the existing panels?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...