UKC

flying bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fidman 16 Jun 2014
A couple of quick questions on taking a bike abroad by plane. Firstly, do I need to let all the air out of my tyres? I have heard two versions one completely flat, the other just a bit. Second, what is the best way to insure it? My existing travel insurance doesn't cover it and they will not quote.
In reply to Fidman:
What a let down - not a chitty chitty bang bang or ET style thread.

P.S. Some air to act as protection but not hard. Best insurance is a hard bike box. Might be advice on British Cycling site.
Post edited at 16:37
 Guy 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Fidman:

Cargo hold is same pressure as the cabin and I think regulated to the equivalent of 8000ft. You therefore do not need to let air out of your tyres but feel free to do let a little out if it eases your mind. Just remember people cycle from sea level to over 14,000ft without altering their tyre pressures when heading up Mauna Kea.
Fidman 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Fidman:

Thanks guys, I have a loan of a good bike box but I am worried about losing my beloved or having her damaged.
 Oo 16 Jun 2014
The most important thing is to say "Yes" when they ask "Have you deflated your tyres?" It's just easier to give the answer they want than a physics lesson they don't.

I added the bike onto a household insurance policy. It was the cheapest way to do it, but obviously varies by insurer. If you don't have one of those, might be able to add it onto a parents one. Worth checking with the insurer the exact details of whether you can do that if its not a permanent address etc.
 Jack B 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Fidman:

If the bike is in a pressurized cargo hold, the reduced air pressure will have the same effect as increasing the tyre pressure by 4psi. If, for some strange reason, it ends up in an unpressurized hold at cruising altitude, it will be like adding 10psi. Probably less in both cases because of the cold.

But if I were you I'd just do what the airline tells you to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...