UKC

Bob Graham Round

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just musing about the possibility of doing this next year. A few things have said running / fast walking is a must...obviously.

I was just wondering if anyone has done it solely walking, and what kind of pace they set?

Thanks
Steve
Clauso 17 Jun 2014
In reply to I'd rather be climbing:

Apparently, Billy Bland walked it within the 24 hours.

... That's Billy Bland, though.
 Bob 17 Jun 2014

Billy and Gavin Bland walked it, I think Billy's time was 21hrs or so. To give you an idea of just how fast that is, last year there were only three sub 20hr rounds. 21hrs is just over 3mph average for the whole round though obviously some bits will be a bit quicker and some slower.

One of the biggest challenges with the BG is looking after yourself: eating and drinking enough and often enough; making sure you don't trash your legs early on by hammering the descents; that sort of thing.

Lots of info on the FRA forums and on my site - http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php
In reply to Bob:

That's amazing, thanks so much for the link.

Think I'll do the legs 2 at a time over the next few months to see how I might get on.

Steve
 Bob 17 Jun 2014

The other thing you might like to try is to offer to help on an attempt:

a) it gives you an idea of the typical pace for a round.
b) you get brownie points in the bank for your own attempt when you are looking for pacers/helpers yourself.

However be realistic about your abilities - you won't be popular if you can't keep up or get lost/injured and hinder the attempt. Knowing how to get off the tops at any particular point is worthwhile, that sort of thing.

knowing the route is key to completion. you can be a fit as a butchers dog but taking the wrong route here and there will cost you in time and effort. recce, recce, recce would be my advice.
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Thanks guys, a plan seems to be forming to do the course over two days this year, as a tester for doing it properly in 2015.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...