UKC

Carn mor by Canoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 18 Jun 2014
Gary Latter's guide suggests that there's a canoe approach to Carn Mor but doesn't give details. Has anyone ever done this? From the OS map across Loch Maree to Letterewe seems the most likely option - anyone any experience of this?

Cheers,
Andrew.
 Andy Moles 18 Jun 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:

I've done it that way. Pick a very calm day - any wind going funnels down Loch Maree so it can get a bit spicy!

It was a cool experience, but the disadvantage is you have to climb 500+m above Letterewe then drop right back down again. Next time I'd probably just bike from Poolewe.
In reply to Andy Moles:

> It was a cool experience, but the disadvantage is you have to climb 500+m above Letterewe then drop right back down again. Next time I'd probably just bike from Poolewe.

That's what I was thinking. It seems a lot of hassle to save only an hour compared to the cycle.

Robert Durran 18 Jun 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:
I went in via kayak with Big Dan last year. Parking spot with launching beach a bit south from directly opposite Letterewe. You wouldn't want a rough loch! Always risk that weather/wind might change screwing things up for the return trip........ Maybe 2.5 hrs over to Carnmore on a good path. Much more satisfying way in than cycling to the edge of the forest from Poolewe (though not really quicker) especially if you don't like cycling! It is possible to cycle all the way to Carnmore, but you'd probably need to be one of those perverted types who actually enjoys cycling for its own sake.

Off in there today! Glorious weather, but only to check on D of E groups so, alas, no climbing
Post edited at 11:44
In reply to IanMcC:

> If you can access Fionn Loch...

That's interesting - but seems like a bit of an expedition in itself! I think I'll just stick to the bike approach. It is after all the climbing I'm interested in...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...