UKC

Trekking poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom F Harding 19 Jun 2014
I'm after a pair of multi-purpose trekking poles for long walk ins (both summer and winter) and alpine use. I want them to be the 'z-fold' way of packing up so they can be stashed inside a rucksack. Not bothered about having length adjustment but decent snow baskets are essential. Can anyone offer me some good recommendations.

I've been looking at;

BD - Ultra Mountain Carbon. Very expensive but if they are strong enough to last years I could be persuaded to go this high.

BD - Ultra Mountain FL. Aluminium versions of the above but with length adjustments. They seem like they will be bomber but maybe a bit on the heavy side.

The ski pole versions of the above. Basically the same pole with a different handle and bigger baskets but £20 cheaper.

Leki - Micro Titanium. Seems pretty good and very light. Would need to buy decent snow baskets though.
stoker 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Tom F Harding:

Komperdell expedition 4 solid
OP Tom F Harding 19 Jun 2014
In reply to stoker:

£100 from blacks seems pretty good. Why are they called a 4 section when clearly there is only 3 sections? Do they 'snap' into place or do you twist them like older style poles?

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/123270-komperdell-carbon-approach-vario-4...
 PPP 19 Jun 2014

It looks like there's a flick lock so the top (hand) section can be extended.

I am good fan of BD poles as their customer service is brilliant. I had to deal with them once and the reply was more pleasant than I could have expected.

I've had good customer service from BD. Got some replacement parts for a pole sent without and questions. You do have to pay for the shipping to the UK though.

I had the alu foldey ski poles, can't remember the model. They skied really well. I left them on the roof of my car one day. =[

I use the BD Trail poles for hiking, summer and winter. Super stable. one of them slips a tiny bit on long descents, it slipped 5cm over a 6km descent where I was putting a lot of weight on it. But the z-fold ones have the metal flicklock adjusters which seem slightly more robust.
stoker 20 Jun 2014

I was not talking about the Vario but about this one:
http://uk.racingtheplanet.com/store/komperdell-carbon-expedition-solid-4-pa...
got them for € 89 online, (70 £)

It has an elastic draw cord, but every section has to be screwed in place. It's not exactly like the BD system (pull last part)
I like them.
OP Tom F Harding 20 Jun 2014
In reply to stoker:

Thanks Stoker but I wanted a pair of the z pole type because as well as being small the 'twist lock' mechanism on a lot of poles is rubbish. Pretty useless looking snow baskets as well.

Another vote for the BD poles then, thanks Bob the Builder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...