UKC

Punctures

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 19 Jun 2014
Been getting lots of them in the past few weeks.

So I've invested in some Vittoria Open Pave CG 3's which the shop owner assures me are virtually "unsinkable".

They are like fooking rawhide.

Think I shall have to put them in the oven to make them pliable enough to fit.

What slicks do you lot use?
 VS4b 19 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:
Conti 4seasons/Durano plus on commuter.

Gp4000s or Durano S on the good bike.
 The Potato 19 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

if i was getting lots of punctures id go back to conti gatorskins, however i rarely get punctures using michelin pro4 tyres when inflated to the correct psi range (85-115) and thats on pretty rough B roads
 andy 19 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac: Schwalbe Ultremo tubeless - no punctures (well none that haven't fixed themselves anyway!).

The New NickB 19 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Ultremo ZX, people keep telling me they wear out quick and puncture easily, but after around 1,000k, little wear and no punctures.
In reply to andymac:
Vittoria Rubino Pro's -- inflated to 100 psi are good enough for the potholed lanes up here in Lancashire -- and they are relatively cheap!! Done about 2000 miles on this set so far and no flats.
Post edited at 22:05
andymac 19 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:
I also have an admission to make .

After puncturing on Monday night , I sprung into action.

I was being watched by 2 elderly campers ,and must have impressed them by having the new tube fitted in jig time .

I then began showing them the CO2 gas and pump and proceeded to try and inflate the tyre.

Problem was that I forgot to unscrew the Presta valve.

Result was that the pump hissed and then blew itself apart ,complete with a jet of ice cold CO2.

Think the old timers must have found it rather amusing.

I got a lift home.

Honesty and Transparency.Always.
Post edited at 22:08
 gethin_allen 19 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:
The new bike is still running the crap giant tyres that came with it and I've had 3 punctures recently, two of which where big cuts in the sidewalls due to sharp stones on rural lanes. Am I correct in thinking that any reasonable tyre should provide better protection than the OEM tyres that despite being wire bead are lighter than many folding tyres or should I be going for something special?
I've been looking at Vittoria zaffiro pro 2 tyres, mostly because they are cheap and get reasonable reviews but also because I can get them in green to go with the frame.
andymac 19 Jun 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

It's all about The TPI number on the tyre.which relates to the sidewall reinforcement.

Tiso in Inverness only had Bontragers in 60tpi and 120 tpi,which ,I'm assuming are reasonable tyres.

The Vittorias I got in Fort W are 320 tpi.

In reply to andymac:

Apparently tyres are unnecessary. This is worth watching:

http://uk.extreme.com/mountainbike/1035800/aaron-gwin-on-fire-with-no-tire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...