UKC

Base for Le Tour and a bit of climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Runtothehills 23 Jun 2014
Looking for a base to watch the 2days of Le Tour and some climbing, don't want to drive to much.
Ideas please?

Thanks Stu
 Sir Chasm 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Runtothehills: Alpe d'Huez? Plenty to go at.

andy 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Runtothehills:

Ilkley rugby club or the Rapha festival at Broughton Hall near Skipton?
 dale1968 23 Jun 2014

Skipton, Hebden Bridge
 andy 23 Jun 2014
In reply to dale1968:

Hebden Bridge is a bit of a trek to stage 1 - and I the main road from Keighley to Skipton (that you'd use to drive over) says it's closed on the Saturday - can't see why mind...
 Tall Clare 23 Jun 2014
In reply to andy:

There's supposed to be camping in Embsay, or so the signs on the turnoff from by Skipton castle say - it's easy enough to walk up to Crookrise or Eastby from the village.
 andy 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Tall Clare: It's up at Eastby - unless it's a lot cheaper I think I'd prefer to have either the fleshpots of Ilkley easily available or the stuff at Broughton which includes "Live Music PLUS 30 bands" - presumably the bands are separate to the live music...

And of course in Embsay you do have a "free dance" in the village hall.
 Tall Clare 23 Jun 2014
In reply to andy:

Just had a look - it's £30 a night for a pitch up at Eastby, which sounds reasonable, though they mention a 'frequent bus service' to Skipton which I think has dissolved into thin air now, hasn't it?

I guess another advantage of the Rapha Festival at Broughton is that you can get out west to all the crags in that direction. Otherwise it's just road closures everywhere, it seems.

Bob 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Unless Craven DC get a new contract in place to replace Pennine Buses then there's not going to be much running. I posted a link in another TdF thread about the road closures and parking restrictions.

Is the Rapha festival booked out? It's only just down the road from us so haven't really taken much notice.
 Tall Clare 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob:

From looking at the website, the 'luxury and prepitched' stuff is sold out but there's still camping for commoners available.
 andy 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob: I think the Eastby campsite are running a shuttle actually - probably be the tractor and trailer from Hesketh Farm.

Tall Clare 23 Jun 2014

This is the Eastby campsite we're referring to: http://www.moorsideestates.com/4.html
 mike123 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Tall Clare: sorry if I m being thick, I cant find an exact location on the website, if camped here where would one watch the tour go by ? It will me and the sprogs , 6 and 5 , so dont want to walk too far.
 Tall Clare 23 Jun 2014
In reply to mike123:

Ah, good point. From that site to view the Tour you'd walk into Skipton, though it'd be a bit of a schlep with small kids. I've just looked on google maps to give you a link but it isn't very helpful if you put in 'Eastby' - essentially Eastby is just to the east of Embsay, which is 1 mile north of Skipton.

I think that with little ones, camping closer to/on the route, for instance at Addingham, Ilkley or Silsden, might be better.
 mike123 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

thanks Clare, I ve just been looking at the route map and realised that we could also just go for the day (from the North lakes) drop down from the A66 and watch somewhere around Hawes . not so much of an adventure for the kids though, but I also want them to get a feel of the spectacle rather than just watch the peloton flash by.
 Tall Clare 23 Jun 2014
In reply to mike123:

I think the main advantage of being somewhere up there is that you're likely to be able to be near a hill - a lot of the stuff round here is a lot flatter so they'll zoom by in a flash.
 andy 23 Jun 2014
In reply to mike123: Have a look at the road closures though - there seem to be a lot of closures on roads surrounding the route as well as the route itself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...