/ Walking poles on Easyjet flights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
coldfell - on 23 Jun 2014
Does anyone know if poles can be carried within cabin bags, we are intending travelling light to do a section of the GR5?
cheers, Dorine
5tormin' on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to coldfell:

When i travelled in May my poles went in hold luggage along with my pack.
Andy Nisbet - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to coldfell:

> Does anyone know if poles can be carried within cabin bags, we are intending travelling light to do a section of the GR5?

> cheers, Dorine

If you took them apart and taped up the sharp bits, should be OK. I'm not sure they would be inside the permitted length though.
Neil Williams - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to coldfell:

I would assume not because you could do a lot of damage with the spikes.

Neil
Trangia - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to coldfell:

I always pack mine inside my hold luggage, ( ditto ice axes and crampons).

It's not up to Easyjet, it's airport security who make the decisions and I've found from experience that this can be a bit hit and miss depending on the individual who checks it, and the climate concerning recent acts of terrorism*. It isn't worth the risk of hassle and possible confiscation by security for the sake of a bit of careful packing.

If there is a group of you and you were hoping to restrict yourselves to cabin luggage only, why not club together and share just one hold bag with any doubtful items in it?

*I was unfortunate to fly out on the morning the liquid bombs had been discovered on an overnight flight a few years ago. Talk about over reation and shutting the door after the horse had bolted! Security was the toughest I have ever encountered and they were being over zealous about everything.

Enjoy your trip.
heghedush - on 24 Jun 2014
Hi guys,

What about tents in your bag? Would they be allowed since they have pegs?
GridNorth - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to heghedush:

The tent would be allowed the poles and pegs wouldn't.
MikeStuart26 on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to heghedush:

I took a tent, inc. poles and pegs (I bought plastic ones from halfords) in my carry on luggage 4 years ago when I went to a festival in Austria - I had no problems with airport security.

Happy Travels!
coldfell - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to coldfell:

Thanks all for info - it is just my daughter and I so we were hoping to get away with no hold luggage - probably wise to pack poles plus other dodgy items together and check them in! Dorine
earlsdonwhu - on 25 Jun 2014
In reply to coldfell:

Develop a severe limp and claim you need the poles for stability! Tape up spiky bits.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Neil Williams - on 25 Jun 2014
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Taping up spiky bits will not prevent them seeing the spiky bits on the X-ray. You *will* have them confiscated.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.