UKC

Walking poles on Easyjet flights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coldfell 23 Jun 2014
Does anyone know if poles can be carried within cabin bags, we are intending travelling light to do a section of the GR5?
cheers, Dorine
5tormin' 24 Jun 2014
In reply to coldfell:

When i travelled in May my poles went in hold luggage along with my pack.
 Andy Nisbet 24 Jun 2014
In reply to coldfell:

> Does anyone know if poles can be carried within cabin bags, we are intending travelling light to do a section of the GR5?

> cheers, Dorine

If you took them apart and taped up the sharp bits, should be OK. I'm not sure they would be inside the permitted length though.
 Neil Williams 24 Jun 2014
In reply to coldfell:

I would assume not because you could do a lot of damage with the spikes.

Neil
 Trangia 24 Jun 2014
In reply to coldfell:

I always pack mine inside my hold luggage, ( ditto ice axes and crampons).

It's not up to Easyjet, it's airport security who make the decisions and I've found from experience that this can be a bit hit and miss depending on the individual who checks it, and the climate concerning recent acts of terrorism*. It isn't worth the risk of hassle and possible confiscation by security for the sake of a bit of careful packing.

If there is a group of you and you were hoping to restrict yourselves to cabin luggage only, why not club together and share just one hold bag with any doubtful items in it?

*I was unfortunate to fly out on the morning the liquid bombs had been discovered on an overnight flight a few years ago. Talk about over reation and shutting the door after the horse had bolted! Security was the toughest I have ever encountered and they were being over zealous about everything.

Enjoy your trip.
 heghedush 24 Jun 2014
Hi guys,

What about tents in your bag? Would they be allowed since they have pegs?
 GridNorth 24 Jun 2014
In reply to heghedush:

The tent would be allowed the poles and pegs wouldn't.
 MikeStuart 24 Jun 2014
In reply to heghedush:

I took a tent, inc. poles and pegs (I bought plastic ones from halfords) in my carry on luggage 4 years ago when I went to a festival in Austria - I had no problems with airport security.

Happy Travels!
OP coldfell 24 Jun 2014
In reply to coldfell:

Thanks all for info - it is just my daughter and I so we were hoping to get away with no hold luggage - probably wise to pack poles plus other dodgy items together and check them in! Dorine
 earlsdonwhu 25 Jun 2014
In reply to coldfell:

Develop a severe limp and claim you need the poles for stability! Tape up spiky bits.
 Neil Williams 25 Jun 2014
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Taping up spiky bits will not prevent them seeing the spiky bits on the X-ray. You *will* have them confiscated.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...