UKC

good second rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrgleb 23 Jun 2014
I am looking to buy a second rope for multi-pitch trad climbing. I have been climbing for about a year now and have finally decided I've had enough of horrible rope drag.I have an Edelrid rope but can't recall which one, It does seem handle well. I was thinking of buying the Edelrid Python 10mm, 50m rope ,Cotswolds have one on offer for £75, are they any good ? Advice appreciated.
 SteveoS 23 Jun 2014
In reply to mrgleb:
Have you thought of buying extendable quickdraws?

They weigh less than dragging up a second 10mm.
Post edited at 23:58
 David Staples 25 Jun 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

I agree with StevoS. Get some longer draws, plus you could also get 2 or 3 60cm slings and a couple of snap-gate carabiners and use these as runners (Super-log quick-draws). This would reduce rope drag well.

I would get a rope after, longer draws and runners are more useful when trad climbing than a new rope.

If you do want a new rope go for half ropes for trad climbing. A 10mm 50m is best suited for Sport or indoor climbing where as 2 8.5mm skinny 60m ropes would feel much better for trad.
OP mrgleb 25 Jun 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Thank you for the advice.When I bought my first rope it was just to do some top-end scrambling but this has lead to full-on climbing ! I try to extend as much as possible but some routes have such big changes of direction that drag seems un-avoidable with one rope. Is it good practice to use both a thin and thicker rope ? or will this cause problems. I belay with a DMM Bug.
 Merlin 26 Jun 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Buy a half rope to accompany your single, then when you can afford it buy a second half rope. Climbing long pitches on two single ropes will feel like doing power squats every time you clip them into quickdraws.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...