UKC

Constructed tracks in the Scottish Hills- update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Allan 24 Jun 2014
An update to my previous posts:

Firstly, thanks to everyone who wrote/emailed the Minister expressing concerns. A decision was thought to be imminent but the Minister has now said that he is still considering the matter. One concern is that a compromise will emerge with legal controls on constructed tracks being applied in some areas only. THIS WOULD BE A HIGHLY UNSATISFACTORY OUTCOME. It is essential that we argue that ALL hill tracks come under full planning control.

If you haven't already contacted the Minister, please do so. The following is the guidance I posted before (with a few alterations):

Representing a range of concerned organisations, Scottish Environmental LINK has been running a vigorous campaign to try to persuade the Minister (Derek Mackay) to change the law to bring all hill tracks under full planning law. Derek Mackay is currently considering the matter SO ANY LETTERS SENT IMMEDIATELY will add weight to the case.

The legal situation is that hill tracks require planning consent except where they are for argricultural or forestry purposes for which no consent is needed (argricultural or forestry purposes are called 'permitted development'). Sporting estates get round this by constructing tracks without consent and, if challenged, claim the track is for agricultural purposes. In some cases they put a few sheep up there as 'tick mops'. Even when tracks have been legally challenged, and a small number have, and it has been found that the estate acted outwith the law, there has never been a requirement that the track be removed. The existence of such tracks is not the only problem. Because they are not subject to planning scrutiny, many are very badly constructed and are quickly subject to erosion creating further scarring.

I would like to STRONGLY URGE that, if you are concerned, you write quickly to the Minister before he takes his final decision. Personally I think it best to write rather than email as I think letters may well be taken more seriously but certainly email if you would prefer.

Suggested arguments:
-Your enjoyment of many wild areas across Scotland is being spoiled by the plethora of new constructed hilltracks. You are less likely to visit certain areas, and less likely to spend your money in remoter communities dependent on tourism, because of this.
-Many of these unregulated tracks, because they are not subject to planning consent, are badly made, quickly erode, and so further scar the landscape.
-You do not understand why ALL hill tracks are no subject to proper democratic scrutiny when virtually all other building projects, large and small, are. Say that you are simply asking for tracks to be regulated and that you are asking that permitted development rights be removed from hill tracks.
-It is important that any change in the law covers all tracks and is not limited to specific areas of Scotland.

It goes without saying that, whilst pressing the case firmly, it is important to be polite!

The postal address: Derek Mackay, Minister for Local Government and Planning, St. Andrews House, Regent Road, Edinburgh EH1 3DG

Email address: scottish.ministers@scotland.gsi.gov.uk (title this 'For the urgent attention of Derek Mackay')

For people on Twitter:
If you are on Twitter and you have a photo of a badly constructed track you can tweet this tagged with @DerekMackayMSP. It could be along the lines of:

#hilltracks damage env and need regulation. @scotlink campaign awaits @DerekMackayMSP decision http://bit.ly/1yhE0BZ

Also if you are able to re-tweet others’ #hilltracks tweets that would be helpful.

This is a crucial campaign dear to the hearts of many hillgoers, so if you have the time to act, please, please do.

Many thanks
George Allan (North East Mountain Trust)

kwoods 24 Jun 2014
In reply to George Allan:

Thanks for the post. I took the liberty of posting this to WalkHighlands, there will be (a greater concentration of) users there with an interest in this issue. Hope thats okay.

http://walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43457
OP George Allan 24 Jun 2014
In reply to kwoods:

Kevin, thanks. That's great. As wide a circulation as possible please. If people can forward to friends and around clubs too that would be v. helpful.
George
 Flinticus 24 Jun 2014
In reply to George Allan:

Copied to Scottishhills as well.
OP George Allan 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Much appreciated.
George

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...