UKC

Kit list

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cjbobo88 25 Jun 2014
I am new to the forum, although i have been hiking and climbing for many years. I am about to undertake the 3 peaks challenge with 2 friends. One has told me this morning he only plans to take a camelpack!!! I have advised against this as there are other items needed incase of any potential problems but i do not think i have made any difference. Having experienced the first stages of hypothermia in the past, i do not wish to be at risk again. my kit list is ridiculous compared to the basic advised by most sites and its all based around keeping dry, warm and first aid. I even carry a secondary pouch...and as stupid as i look, i know i have all i need in case of an emergency. How can i put it across to my friend that his kit list of water and a snack bar is foolish and potentially dangerous? I do not think i am over doing it at all. Should i look after myself and leave him to it or try and get it through to them that this stuff is important?
 mattrm 25 Jun 2014
In reply to cjbobo88:

It's worth taking the extra safety kit. Here's what I'd consider essential:

Full body waterproof cover (i.e jacket and trousers)
extra fleece/jumper
Hat and gloves
Food & water
Small first aid kit ('ouch pouch' with plasters and painkillers (hay fever meds for me as well))
Emergency bag - I rate this - http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/survival/shelter/survive-outdoors-longe...
Map and compass

If you're in a group a 4 man bothy bag is really worth having. They're excellent. I also have a bag which has a spare compass, head torch, spare batteries, insect repellent, but you don't need it if you don't want to take that extra stuff. It doesn't take up much space however.
In reply to cjbobo88:

Why not share the kit between you rather than each carry one of everything e.g. one guy carries a good first aid kit and another guy carries a bothy bag rather than all three of you carrying small first aid kits and survival bags. More functional kit for the same weight.
 JLS 25 Jun 2014
In reply to cjbobo88:

>"try and get it through to them that this stuff is important?"

If your friend wears a pair of Walsh running shoes, Ron Hill shorts and calls himself a fell runner I think he'll get away with it.

It's difficult to appreciate how harsh the summer mountains can be when most times a walk up a popular UK mountain with a good trail, in fine weather, really doesn't push the envelope of human endurance.

I'd just roll with it. Perhaps after the first summit when a biting wind has chilled his body through a sweat drenched cotton T-shirt, he might learn that some additional clothes might be a plan for the next one. But let's face it, your friends will be unlikely to come to any serious grief if there is at least one person in the party half prepared like yourself.

There is a balance to be struck. Being burdened with the weight of over preparedness really can suck away the enjoyment and feeling of freedom in the hills.

Go on, take a risk. If the forecast is good, leave the gaiters and waterproof trousers behind.
 FrankBooth 25 Jun 2014
Age & fitness. If you're both young and in good shape, you've got a bit more flexibility than an older person (or someone less healthy) to get up/down quickly. The stamina to move quickly makes a big difference to how comfortable and safe you'll be on a mountain. Carry less, and stay warm by moving quickly. I'm assuming your attempt is being organised by an external company and therefore there'll be loads of other people doing the same routes as well - this provides some safety in numbers.
British summers are fickle, and the weather can change quickly. That said, if it's the middle of July, it's been sunny for the past week and every reason to expect it to stay the same, you don't need to be as over-cautious as some people might suggest!

In terms of clothing, there are a number of guidelines to consider:
If the weather is at all changeable, avoid 100% cotton (and that includes jeans.). If it's a nice summers day, the poly-cotton Craghopper type trousers are generally fine, otherwise, quick drying synthetic fabrics are the order of the day (not very trendy, but the Ron Hill type running tights are cheap and very practical). If you don't want to spend a fortune, the likes of TKMAX or even larger Tescos will have cheap synthetic tops and fleeces).
Take a lightweight waterproof - it doesn't need to be anything fancy, a £20 kagoul should be fine. If it's raining, consider waterproof trousers as well.
Footwear - you're going to be on well worn paths, so lightweight boots or trail running trainers are fine (plus synthetic sports socks)
A 20 litre rucksack will be big enough to hold:
Your waterproofs
A basic first aid kit (Compeeds, triangle bandage, couple of paracetamol, plasters)
A hat (again, go synthetic and lightweight), and possibly a pair of gloves (lightweight, stretchy)
Plastic survival bag
Whistle
pencil/paper
Snacks - flapjacks, cereal bars, 1/4 malt loaf are all good, plus maybe something sweet like plastic bag of sweets
Water - either Camelback, or sports bottles, depending on your fitness and thirst.
 GrahamD 25 Jun 2014
In reply to cjbobo88:

Sounds like you need to review your choice of companions on your 'challenge'. Its not going to be fun sharing a car (assuming its that '3 peaks challeng'e and not any other one) with someone who has a very different outlook on the 'challenge' than you do.
 Carolyn 25 Jun 2014
In reply to JLS:

> If your friend wears a pair of Walsh running shoes, Ron Hill shorts and calls himself a fell runner I think he'll get away with it.

Well, yes - it really depends if he's got the experience to know what he's doing, or if he's proposing it based on a couple of walks up a hill in good weather......

He might want to add a head torch for Scafell Pike, though, assuming you're on traditional timings!
 Skol 25 Jun 2014
In reply to cjbobo88:

Equip to be warm at the pace of the slowest person. If that is you and he won't listen, chuck in an extra thin fleece for him.
We did the 3 peaks in the 90s in running gear with a bumbag, but were lucky with the weather.
It's a fine balance between safety and having too much. A camelback or similar hydration bladder incorporated into a pack is a good idea. Dehydration is a big risk. Make your fluids isotonic. Half water / half fruit juice and some rehydration salts added in. I recently did a 30k walk in the highlands, and despite drinking approx 3 litres of water, I had muscle cramps to the point of nearly being benighted.
Good luck.
 Mark Torrance 25 Jun 2014
In reply to cjbobo88:

Sorry, I recognise that this was your first post but the following is kind of necessary, I feel:

From my reading around the subject he will also need a car. This can be shared.

The need for this can be avoided, though, by finding an alternative and environmentally less problematic way of spending your weekend.

There's another three peaks where just a bum bag is very much the vogue...
In reply to cjbobo88:

A ten year old article but still pretty relevant

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/three-peaks-challenge
pasbury 26 Jun 2014
In reply to cjbobo88:
Going light and fast is a good aim. Just think about what's the worst thing that could happen. A sprain or broken ankle for example then you need something warm, something light and waterproof and a bit of extra food until you can be got off the hill.
Water is heavy - I take a single water bottle and some puritabs and fill up from streams on the way - tastes nasty but keeps the weight down.

I'm assuming this is the Dales 3 peaks?
Post edited at 10:47
 JLS 26 Jun 2014
In reply to pasbury:

>"Just think about what's the worst thing that could happen."

Hazard: Untrained body taking strenuous exercise results in heatattack.

Risk: Low to moderate.

Mitigation: Carry a defibrillator.

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/philips-heartstart-frx-defibrillator/

Scarab9 26 Jun 2014
In reply to cjbobo88:

really probably a good idea to clarify which 3 peaks you're talking about before the guessing sends this thread on some crazy tangents. Big difference between the UK 3 Peaks and the Yorkshire 3 Peaks (and potentially others?).

And do you mean a camelpack as in just water, or a sack with a bladder in as well?
 Brass Nipples 26 Jun 2014
In reply to cjbobo88:

A troll?
 GrahamD 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

No replies to own thread - check
Three peaks 'challenge' - check

Probable troll ? - check
cjbobo88 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Scarab9:

Hi guys. Sorry. Been offline for a while. It's the UK three peaks we're taking part in. He is taking the bladder as well as just the camelpack along with some snack bars. No extra clothing etc. Thanks for all the replies.
cjbobo88 27 Jun 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

Thanks for the reply. Funny you should mention the cotton. I learned the hard way with this. Cotton t-shirt on a 26 mile section of the Jack Mytton Way, took rucksack off and bang! Was like jumping in an ice bath as soon as the wind hit my drenched back. Obviously from this incident, i now use more appropriate base layers and fleece.
The friend i have going with me on this challenge, has ordered t-shirts with our sponsors logos printed on them and a funky team name..... Have a guess what material he has chosen?
 Scarab9 27 Jun 2014
In reply to cjbobo88:

wow. I'd suggest just not doing it with him then. Doesn't take much to get in a serious way if you're tired and it gets a big chilly and wet. He sounds like he's no idea what he's letting himself in for and an emergency call waiting to happen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...