UKC

Yo-Yo Aonach Dubh....How to get there ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J5 28 Jun 2014
I have my eye on Yo-Yo this year but would prefer an epic before i even get to the bottom which would'nt be the first time in Glen Coe.

So i have the SMC Glencoe climbers guide and I know my way up to Crocodile,Freakout etc.
I cross the footbridge and head up hill,the path forks, take right hand fork as if for Crocodile then what ? Scramble across the burn and head around the obvious big lower shelf ? Is there a path or is it a bush wack ?

Thanks
 d conacher 28 Jun 2014
In reply to J5:

Park atnn148572.cross the wide but shallow river and go upa small path on the left side of thedeep gully which leds up to the start of the sloping shelf(slightly left of ossians cave)otherwise,cross the bridge(nn167566) and walkslightly downhill to reachthe lower continuation of the sloping shelf down to the valley bottom.go up this line to cross one gully continue to the deep gully. either approach needs to cross the gully.take the the highest traverse line immediately below the cliff.make an awkward decent.then an awkward climb out(about difficult but slippery in its normal wet state)to gain the sloping shelf,go up the shelf for quite a long way until about 100m in distance short of the big gully at the top, the routes are here just below the big damp caveon the wall. thats andy nisbets discription i didnt think the smc description was very good.which i followed once you find the faint path you need to stay on it dont be temped to traverse to low you need your scrambling head on its quite scary but the routes worth it,hope its dry cause its hard for the grade,enjoy.
cheers dougie
 Gael Force 29 Jun 2014
In reply to J5:

The descent is as good as the approach...
 james1978 30 Jun 2014
In reply to J5:

Be kind and offer to give the wet, second pitch to your friend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...