UKC

Anyone walked near Munich?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 28 Jun 2014
We are heading to Munich for a week to stay with my folks, and were thinking that we would take some kit to do a bit of walking. Is it worth taking boots, or would approach shoes be suitable for their hiking trails? From a quick Google search, we are thinking that Herzogstandbahn looks nice, but totally open to suggestions. We have been really busy in the run up to this and not even thought about it til now, and heading tomorrow!!
Tim Chappell 28 Jun 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Just around Muenchen itself is dead flat, but as you come into the airport you can see the mountains by Oberammergau off to the south. I'm guessing a one-hour train ride or so would get you to 2700m-ish hills that are well worth walking in, and (this being Germany) well equipped with walking and cycling trails, too.

Boots? Myself, I never use boots. Not unless I have to (e.g. to put ice-climbing crampons on them). Approach shoes are so much more comfortable. And you can get a walking crampon on an approach shoe, with a bit of faith...
Tim Chappell 28 Jun 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

PS Don't forget to see Munich itself. It's a wonderful town.
OP girlymonkey 28 Jun 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

We will defo see plenty of Munich, the olds will want to show us around as they regularly make it their temporary home. Will look into Oberammergau, thanks
 Heike 28 Jun 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

You can take the S-Bahn (train) out of town going south for 30-60 minutes and there will be loads of walking opportunities with views of the big mountains. It's a walking heaven. Approach shoes will suffice!
Have fun and enjoy the beer gardens!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...