UKC

Naked cyclist in Exeter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dale1968 29 Jun 2014
Kayaking on the Exe, and saw this lot, made I larf... bit of video... www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152169985557548&set=o.500656643281170&type=2&theater
 dollydog 29 Jun 2014
In reply to dale1968:

link doesnt link!
OP dale1968 29 Jun 2014
In reply to dollydog:

Just tried it, worked for me, copy and paste
OP dale1968 29 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Yea
> you need a zoom lens

no zoom lens needed when I saw them...eww
 Mark Kemball 29 Jun 2014
In reply to dale1968:

This was part of a world wide protest demanding more safer cycle lanes and safer conditions for cyclists, the nudity was to emphasise the vulnerability of cyclists - probably worth finding out the aims before you take the mick. I would have participated myself, but had prior engagements in Scotland. Google "Naked Cycle Protest" for loads more info.
OP dale1968 29 Jun 2014
In reply to Mark Kemball:

get a grip, I have cycled ten thousands of miles, and don't need you to tell me about cycling, or any other related subjects it was funny end off.
andymac 29 Jun 2014
In reply to dale1968:

The Naked Rambler will be feeling a bit hard done by tonight.

gethin_allen 29 Jun 2014

Talk about jumping to conclusions, I think you owe Dale an apology.
 Mark Kemball 29 Jun 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

You must be kidding! I get more than a little fed up with the"oh-er-mrs" attitude displayed by some of the comments above. The protest was a valid way of bringing attention to a serious issue. Some of the above comments imply that there is something wrong with naked flesh (particularly if it is on the middle-aged / flabby side). Eg "no zoom lens needed when I saw them...eww"
 FactorXXX 30 Jun 2014

The protest was a valid way of bringing attention to a serious issue.

If it was so valid and a subject that you feel so strongly about, how come this was your only UKC contribution?

I personally think Queens 'Bicycle Race' is by far better, especially the uncensored version!
 Cusco 30 Jun 2014

Mark.

I too saw the cyclists ride through the city centre on Saturday and my reaction and those of all around me in the street was of bemusement and amusement. If what you outlined is the message, I think there are stronger ways to make the message without disrobing. The government ads from the 90s for various things were always quite sobering.

On a lighter note, the juxtaposition of the naked cyclists and the thankfully robed police officers riding behind them was amusing. One could have much puerile fun with word play about large truncheons, high visibility clothing, cycle horns etc - but it sounds like that won't go down well with you.
 gethin_allen 30 Jun 2014

It was obvious to anyone who wasn't looking to pick a fight that the OP was not in any way having a go at of denigrating the cause the naked cyclists were campaigning for, he was merely amused by bit.
Surely this was the whole point of the nakedness, to draw peoples attention to a cause, so really you should be thanking dale for starting this thread and doing exactly that. If you care so passionately for the cause perhaps you should have been the one starting such a thread.

I can't see any posts above making any suggestions that nakedness is in any way wrong, I think you're reading your own issues into someone else's text.
OP dale1968 30 Jun 2014
In reply to dale1968:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975720 Marti died here he had a family was training for Triathlons and I was teaching him to swim. Killed by an idiot fiddling with his radio
 balmybaldwin 30 Jun 2014
> (In reply to gethin_allen)
>
> You must be kidding! I get more than a little fed up with the"oh-er-mrs" attitude displayed by some of the comments above. The protest was a valid way of bringing attention to a serious issue. Some of the above comments imply that there is something wrong with naked flesh (particularly if it is on the middle-aged / flabby side). Eg "no zoom lens needed when I saw them...eww"

I think you have massively missed the point. They weren't cycling naked because they feel they have rights to cycle naked without being laughed at were they?

They knew very well that a fully dressed bunch of cyclists protesting would have merited one or 2 lines in a local rag. the therefore went with the more exhibitionist approach precisely because it will cause conversation and attention to be diverted their way (and they would have been well aware that people would see it as a bit of a laugh about a serious issue) which is precisely why people do things like this. Good on them.
 Cusco 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Cusco:

I heard on the local radio news this morning that none other than the great Gary Newman (in Exeter for a gig at the Phoenix) had apparently also tweeted bemusement/amusement about the cyclists. I didnt see the tweet though as I'm a twitter phobe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...