UKC

Forcan ridge & South Glen Shiel Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 01 Jul 2014

I assume it is possible to link up the Saddle & Sgurr na Sgine with the South Glen Shiel ridge via Sgurr a Bhac Chaolais.

Can anyone confirm / any difficulties?

Thinking as a two dayer (if weather good)
Post edited at 10:28
 MG 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

From above, coming off Sgurr nan Sgine looked very steep to me. Presumably there is a way but be aware of possibly difficulties or a need to detour.
In reply to Flinticus:

Totally do-able, and fine as a (very) long single day in the present daylight. I would do it east to west because the east side of Sgurr na Sgine is easier route finding in ascent than descent. From Bealach an Toiteil you have two choices: 1. go left to pick up SnS's SW spur - easy walk, or 2. go up right below the crags to gain SnS's NE ridge, which makes a nice little-trodden scramble.

And if you've done it E-W then obv the Forcan Ridge comes at the end. For my money this is actually just as easy in descent as it is in ascent (since you get to go up the 'bad step' bit that you would normally have to be going down, if that makes sense).

As it happens there's a description of the whole 9munro/1corbett route in Great Mountain Days in Scotland: http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/612/title/great-mountain-...
OP Flinticus 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Great. Thanks. If the weather is less than good I'm gonna do something else! I want a clear high camp and a dry scramble without too much wind. Too much to hope for?
In reply to Flinticus:

I hope not! good luck
 Simon Caldwell 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

We did it east to west a couple of years ago as far as Sgurr na Sgine. We climbed this by the NE ridge as we'd been told it was a good scramble, but it wasn't really, rather scrappy. We thought about continuing to the Saddle but decided to save it for another day (when we did the horseshoe from the north).
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/e.php?d=20120601&u=2022&i=2121...
OP Flinticus 02 Jul 2014

Descending the ridge is the only draw back to an East to West direction: I'd rather ascend it as a good scramble is always better and more fun going up than down in my opinion.
 malky_c 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Also if you're going east to west, there's a slightly fiddly bit dropping off Sgurr a Bhac Chaolais. I would barely call it scrambling, but you need to slither around on some loose scree while trying to avoid a couple of small crags which bar the way down. I doubt it would cause any issues if you were going up that way, as you'd be able to see the best line from below.
OP Flinticus 10 Jul 2014
> (In reply to Flinticus)
>
> I hope not! good luck

Seems it is! Have you seen the forecast for today & Friday, then compare it to Saturday (persistent rain, extensive cloud)?

I've had to change for plans for the weekend to some of the rolling Eastern Cairngorms (which seems to be a pattern for me & my summer walking plans all to often)
In reply to Flinticus:

That's a pity. If it's any consolation I was on the Forcan ridge on Tues and the weather was much worse than forecast
OP Flinticus 11 Jul 2014

I hate Scotland! Well, really the f**king changeable weather. Now Saturday in the E Cairngorms is not looking great either (latest MWIS forecast: a lot worse that that available this morning). Sunday now looks OK but of course I've made arrangements etc and cannot keep changing my plans. All this after a great week wasted in the office.

I'll still go but now have to pack serious rain gear & additional supporting pole for my tent. Probably no decent sun rise either, hidden behind banks of cloud. Again! Arghh.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...