UKC

Thermarest Alternatives?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Crusher R 02 Jul 2014
As titled really looking for a cheaper alternative to say the Prolite?
Cheers
In reply to Paul R:

Maybe not what your looking for but a friend of mine swears by his Z lite sol

The Thermarest Z-Lite Sol is an update to the massively popular Z-Lite, the lightest closed cell foam mat available.
Plus no chance of it bursting which happens with every inflatable I've ever had - regardless of cost.

M
 Jo Morrison 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Paul R:

Try Alpkit?
 PeterM 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Paul R:

http://hyaliteequipment.com/sleeping-pads

I think these guys were formerly Pacific Outdoor Equipment. I stopped using my ultralite 3/4 in favour of one of their Ether models (not nmade any more)
 bigbobbyking 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Ugly Kid Jo:

I'm in the market for one as well. Alpkit seem to have stopped making theirs which is annoying. I think I might just suck it up and go with Thermarest. Apparently they replace when the mat delaminates.
neilus 03 Jul 2014
 Carolyn 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Paul R:

Or just a second hand thermarest off eBay? I've had a couple of Prolite 3s as people have upgraded to Prolite 4s. (At least I think those are the numbers - if not, you get the idea!)
 LastBoyScout 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Paul R:

I've just bought a Vango short mat for my daughter's travel cot - fair bit lighter and thicker than the stock one that came with it.

Seems pretty well made, but not as light/packable as my Prolite.
In reply to Paul R:

Go Outdoors North Ridge mats are Excellent for the money
Especially the Alpine Lite should be able to get for £30
In reply to Paul R:

Not to be such a downer on the topic, but really I have had several by many different manufacturers and they all pop.
I'm gonna go closed cell. bit bulkier, similar weight but they seem to last.

I have no faith in any blow up or self inflating mats.
The amount of times I've woke up with dead body parts through lack of support is uncountable.

Ultimately a waste of time for true comfort and repeatability.

M

LiamJC 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Paul R:

Second vote for the vango trek, got a short as I don't really see the need for a full length mat. Might not be quite as small and light as lastboyscout pointed out but it's very comfortable and got mine for £18.
 Morgan Woods 09 Jul 2014
In reply to MGC:

Really? I've had my thermarest for about 12 years of regular use no issues. Just recently decided to upsize to a long and it's replacement is going fine.
 ben b 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Ditto, i just passed on my 1989 thermarest 3/4 to my niece. Its had a lot of use (four continents, a couple of KIMMs before I discovered balloon beds or bubblewrap, some rocky bivvys etc). It did get a leak once on the valve which I fixed with tissue adhesive. But for 25 I think it has done pretty well!

B
 kestrelspl 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Morgan Woods:

I've had mine 7 years (which I'm sure is not out of the ordinary for people on here) and it's still going strong. My brother on the other hand trashed one very quickly by using it directly on some rough ground for a couple of weeks, so I guess you have to be careful.
In reply to Paul R:

Cheers for the input. Ive got a 15 yr old thermarest, which has never let me down, but its way too heavy for what i need it for, im thinking one of the z lites might do now, a bit bulky but its more a need for warmth, lightweight, not going to pop against comfort. 40 quid is a bit painful but it seems the best option on the market. I do wonder having just wandered past the camping aisle in tesco.. £3 for their camping mats... hmmm..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...