UKC

Tilley hats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rich L 02 Jul 2014
I am torn between the T3 and the T5.

A lot of money, but are they worth it?

Cheers, Rich
 Nick Harvey 02 Jul 2014
Dunno which I have - its green and cottony, but had it since 2004 and it's been great and shows no signs of wearing out (that's not to say it's not worn, but in a good characterful way). I'd be distraught if I lost it.
In reply to Rich L:

My wife has been using a Tilley for over 10 years and it is still in perfect nick.I've worn out 3 noname hats in the same time,so for my money,yes it's worth it.
In reply to Rich L:

I have the T5MO and it's ace! I've only had it for a month or so now but I'm already very attached to it.

Probably worth getting the more ventilated one. The fabric is pretty heavy. But mine dries within a minute of taking it off my head if its a bit breezy. I use it in the California High Sierras. It doesn't fit under a climbing helmet very well though.
 deepsoup 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Rich L:
> A lot of money, but are they worth it?

I think that depends on whether you wear hats out, or you lose them. I've had two (one of which I bought in Oxfam for a fiver - bargain), lost them both at different times. One of them I'd had for about 5 years and just about perfectly broken in. Boo.
In reply to Rich L:

Sadly, I lost my 13-yr-old T5 at Venice airport recently (probably put down when very tired and bored waiting for a delayed flight). They don't seem to do the cotton version in the same colour any more (stone), so I ended up getting a nylon one instead. Which, of its first test, seemed a fair bit cooler than the cotton duck version.

I preferred the T5 over the T3, due to the smaller, stiffer brim.

They're well made (my only gripe is that the sizing seems a bit variable these days; definitely try them on in a shop before you buy, and don't assume another one 'the same size' will fit; my recent experience). On the other hand, I saw some T3 clones on a market stall in Wareham a couple of days after I'd bought the new T5, and they looked pretty well made, too. If they'd had a T5 clone, I might have been a bit annoyed. I think they were selling for £8. The new T5 cost me £60, although I've seen them online for £55.

They have a reputation for making you look a bit of a prat ('silly Tilleys'), and are popular with ramblers and the mature mature person, but, oddly enough, I saw a young lad on a BMX bike wearing one the other day...
 ring ouzel 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Rich L:

I bought my Tilley (a T3 I think) at least 15 years ago. It is still in good nick but looking used (which looks better I think). Its been on dozens of safaris with me and kept my delicate Celtic skin from being toasted in various parts of the globe. It now does service in the Scottish Highlands where it is equally at home. An excellent buy.
 Skol 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Rich L:

Never had one and never will. They portray the 'great white hunter' image and suit people who would wear socks with sandles.
Googling the site though, they have a kids version which looks pretty cool. Narrow brim and similar to the one Liam Gallagher used to wear made by Kangol.
 hedgepig 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Rich L:

Mine shrunk in the wash so I had to give it to my sister. Got the Outdoor Research lookalike which is huge so fits my enormous head. It's also not so bright white, more of a sludge grey and rolls up smaller. And cheaper - I'm always losing hats. But I might have to give it up as I approach the age where I might be mistaken for a mature mature rambler.
cb294 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Rich L:

I have a T5, my wife a T3. Both are still in great nick after almost 20 years as far as cloth and stitching are concerned. However, despite reguaör washes the original khaki colour has become more of a frood´s towel camo pattern (the reddish bits work as sunscreen and antibiotcis, the greenish ones contain essentia emergency vitamins....). If anything I would get a dark brown one.

CB
 Trangia 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Rich L:

I've had mine for 3 months now and love it. Without doubt the best wide rimmed hat I've had to date.

Excellent sun protection, good in rain - stops rain splahes on your glasses, and it's insured against loss by the manufacturers!

You need to get a slightly larger fit than your normal had size, but it takes a lot of wind to dislodge it when not using the chin cord (this also provides for back of the head securement like the RCMP! (I always wondered how they kept their hats on....)
 Siward 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Skol:

This is the sort of thing I think you'd like:

http://tinyurl.com/k2zcncr
OP Rich L 03 Jul 2014
In reply to All:

Many thanks for all your comments.

I almost faltered at the image of "The Great White Hunter", but the story of the elephant eating it and pooing it out unscathed (the hat, that is, I can only assume the elephant was unharmed) swung it for me.

Cheers, Rich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...