UKC

Dolomites Route recommendations...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi Folks,

Heading to the dolomites in early august and looking to do big multi - pitch mountaineery days, climbing about UIAA IV-V. I know there is lots to choose from but has anyone been on some routes that they think were especially special? Or ones to avoid because they are too busy??

Also climbing guidebook.... I've got the 100 classic dolomites climbs book but am struggling to visulaze myself on the route as I'm not used to the scribbly drawings... Anyone found a better book? I've been spoilt by rock fax, of course, and I heard a rumour on another thread that they are releasing a dolomites guidebook in august this year - anyone got any updates on that?

Many thanks in advance!
Michael
 CurlyStevo 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Michael Haywood:
I found the 100 classic dolomites climbs book to be excellent last year. We also bought the Mid Grade Trad Rock: Western Dolomites Vol 1 and 2, however the topos are too small to be of much use and the 100 classic dolomites climbs book has black and white pictures for most the climbs which are nearly as big with the lines on too. That leaves both books then with text to really describe the routes, however the 100 classic dolomites climbs also has the pictagrams which really help IMO.

Also the route selection in 100 classic dolomites climbs is better IMO. The Mid Grade Trad rock books left out several routes we really liked and included ones they didn't recommend! Finally we found it had more inaccuracies. Your Mileage May Vary.
Post edited at 10:31
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 05 Jul 2014

Hi Mike. It will be available August the 8th: http://www.rockfax.com/climbing-guides/books/the-dolomites-rock-climbs-and-...

I'm not sure if that will be in time for you or not. Many great routes at that grade, you'll have many to choose from.

Enjoy your trip!

henwardian 05 Jul 2014

Fehrman on the Pordoi is an awesome IV. 800m long and winds its way most improbably up a really impressive face.
Start it with a good forecast because the face gets major waterfalls in the rain, one of which the route crosses near the huge terrace about two thirds of the way up.

The Vajolet towers are a great day out but normally very busy. Ditto for the classic traverse of the three Sella towers.

If you search the UKC archives, there should be topics exactly like this. I've seen them come up regularly and I'm pretty sure I've replied to at least a couple before.
 tjekel 05 Jul 2014
In reply to henwardian:

You probably meant the fedele on the pordoi, which i'd support. Perfect day out.

Th
In reply to James Rushforth:

Hi James. That's very exciting that your book is coming out! It could well make our trip. I'll already be in the Alps on the 8th August, but my climbing partner is flying out on the 9th. He'll be driving from southern Scotland to leeds to catch a plane and so could maybe pick one up enroute? Will it be available to buy in any particular shop on this date?? Is there any other way we would be able to defiantly get hold of one on the 8th??

Many thanks,
Michael

Thanks for the guidebook and route advice so far! I'll have a look back through forum archives, and see if there's more there too..
cheers,
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 10 Jul 2014

Hi Michael. Have a look at the following link for dates it will be available:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=6488

Enjoy your trip!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...