UKC

TdF Swag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tri-nitro-tuolumne 07 Jul 2014

What did you get?

I got a biro from the Gendarmerie. It literally landed at my feet.

Why are the French paying their police to come over here and throw biros at us? Maybe it's some sort of Gallic insult.
Post edited at 14:54
 gethin_allen 07 Jul 2014
In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne:

I got bugger all, they threw everything over to the other side of the road after telling everyone that they would threw stuff over both sides.

TBH I would have been more than happy with a bag of Haribo and a box of Yorkshire tea.
In reply to gethin_allen:

Yeah, I think Haribo and Yorkshire Tea were regarded as primo swag - everything else was a bit rubbish
 lummox 07 Jul 2014

two Miffy key rings for my toddler and 3 year old.. they seem to like them : )
 The New NickB 07 Jul 2014

2 x KOM Caps
British Cycling snap on reflective strip
Spongy cow
Sheffield Hallam wrist band
Fruit Shoot Frisbee
 lummox 07 Jul 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I wanted a KOM cap but thought it would be unseemly to wrestle one off a ten year old : )
 John Ww 07 Jul 2014

The square root of bugger all - and to add insult to (sunburn) injury, we didn't even get on the telly, as they showed adverts while the tour passed The Flouch.

JW
 Owen Meany 07 Jul 2014

Bagged by our group of four (in order of appeal):

KOM cap x 2
British cycling snap on strip
Some other snap on strip
McCain potato seeds x 2 (except they disappointingly weren't potato seeds...)
Bic keyring
P&O keyring
Sheffield Hallam wristband

Very pleased with my KOM cap, but would have like some Yorkshire Thé (they didn't seem to be throwing any of that out on the way up Cote de Grinton Moor)

OM
 lost1977 07 Jul 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> Fruit Shoot Frisbee

That's all I got, except lots of free food and drinks from the locals

Co1in H 07 Jul 2014
In reply to John Ww:
I was watching on the tele as I was elsewhere, but good old ITV went to adverts at the two locations I particularly wanted to see. The Flouch roundabout and the left hand turn on to Woodhead after coming down from Holme Moss.
Why do they call it coverage, when it's only partial coverage.
 33% Longer 07 Jul 2014

All I got was a Yorkshire Building Society wrist band. Wasn't even TDF branded. Wanted a KoM cap, but as said before it seems bad form to rob them off ten year olds.

Lars Boom spotted our Dutch flag and cycled diagonally across Jenkin Road to hand his water bottle to my daughter. It was the best moment of the day.

Missed all the other junk, including water from Buxton which we could have done with.

Alan
 Enty 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> Lars Boom spotted our Dutch flag and cycled diagonally across Jenkin Road to hand his water bottle to my daughter. It was the best moment of the day.

>

That's great!!

Back in 1996 I got a genuine brass Nike cowbell. They don't give stuff out like that anymore.

E
 The New NickB 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Co1in H:

My girlfriends Dad lives on the route, so we could stand outside the house watching and pop in every so often to see where the riders were, unfortunately every time I went in, it was an ad break.
Lusk 07 Jul 2014

We got 6 boxes of Yorkshire Tea off some bloke at the Keighley hub.
Nowt on the course at Steeton.

Did a snow plough go past at one point, or did I imagine that?!
Clauso 07 Jul 2014

I got wrestled to the ground, just outside Bradfield, by a couple of gendarmes, and had the head of my owl suit unceremoniously ripped from my shoulders. I've never been subjected to such indignity in my life!...

I'll bet that they wouldn't have dared to object if I'd have been dressed as a giant cockerel.
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

"Lars Boom spotted our Dutch flag and cycled diagonally across Jenkin Road"

That's very cool. Can't imagine many top level sports where this would happen

Didn't know you were Dutch Alan
Springfield 07 Jul 2014

We got a few bits and bobs including a KOM cap. I di try to get more by pointing out to the families around us that KOM kit should only be worn by someone who had actually cycled to the top of Jenkins road (at the very least)
 Hat Dude 07 Jul 2014

An inflatable pillow from Ibis hotels and a Festina bag for keeping the juice in.

> Why are the French paying their police to come over here and throw biros at us? Maybe it's some sort of Gallic insult.

Anybody else notice that while our police motorcyclists were waving at everyone, the Gendarmerie were way too cool for that.
 starbug 07 Jul 2014

I see all your swag and raise you a team SKY water bottle
as thrown by Monsieur Froome oh yes and a rubber P&O
ferries key ring.
ceri 07 Jul 2014

We got nothing at Pool, they were throwing things too hard and the people in the gardens behind got it all. We got a lot of "high-5s" from the British police bikers though.
 toad 07 Jul 2014

I got an hour in a queue on the A1(m) and I didn't even go to the race

> "Lars Boom spotted our Dutch flag and cycled diagonally across Jenkin Road"

> That's very cool. Can't imagine many top level sports where this would happen

> Didn't know you were Dutch Alan

Ha, not me, but the rest of the family are (50% some of them). Anyway, after the last few weeks I have gladly adopted my bonus nationality!

Alan
 Tall Clare 07 Jul 2014

I got a Skoda sun hat which I gave to some people to further shelter their baby from the searing Yorkshire heat, and Mr TC's kids got some Haribo which they were very pleased with.
In reply to starbug:

Froome's water bottle!?! The holy grail of swag.
 climbingpixie 07 Jul 2014

KOM cap, fruit shoots frisbee and, best, promotional Yorkshire Tea!! They chucked the tea over the wall behind us so I had to go on a death defying mission, clambering over a wall and barbed wire in my bike shoes, to recover it. Totally worth it though, it was clearly the best swag.
andymac 07 Jul 2014

Nice one.

I got that Cavendish bloke's Venge.

It'll have to do.
 1poundSOCKS 07 Jul 2014

A Skoda floppy hat. Yay.
Removed User 07 Jul 2014

I only got a fruitshoot frisbee.

An as yet unidentified Ag2r-La Mondiale rider pressed his bottle into my mate's hand at Jervaulx. I'd have nicked it but he's bigger than me.
 Richard Carter 07 Jul 2014
Swag:
British Cycling snap on reflective strip
Spongy cow
Sheffield Hallam wrist band
Yorkshire Building Society wrist band
Fruit Shoot Frisbee
Poppy & Cornflower seeds + info about trips to WW1 memorials
A commemorative "Tour of Yorkshire" card with a fabric strap round it
Inflatable pillow
Yorkshire Thé (yellow, not the green they were giving out in Stage 3)
A bottle of water

My friend got pretty similar stuff except he got a Bic keyring and some of those McCain seeds.

The Tea is great as I'm obsessed with tea, but I BADLY BADLY wanted one of the Carrefour KOM hats *sad*
Post edited at 18:55
 IMA 07 Jul 2014

Gave all the stuff I got to some kids beside me, (most of it was just going to be binned at home). Managed to get a bidon from a Bretagne guy as they all parked up beside me on Cote de Cray, gave it to some kid in lycra who looked like the world had fallen apart when it was handed to me. Going to regret that.

Got zero on day two

On the note of riders sorting people out, quite a lot of them are good at it and will toss bottles even when they aren't meant to and take Burghart, he cycled across and gave his musette to a little kid.

Unlucky with the Gendarmerie most were good on both days where I was.

The Carrefour hat wouldn't last a week of riding Richard, if that is why you wanted it
 malk 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Richard Carter: > McCain seeds.

?
 Bob 07 Jul 2014
In reply to IMA:

A P&O key fob on day one and a Carrefour cap on day 2 - the kid next to us on Stage 2 got loads. The folk throwing stuff out were definitely targeting children.
 Bob 07 Jul 2014
In reply to malk:

> > McCain seeds.

> ?

I think they were seeds for herbs: parsley and the like.
 Richard Carter 07 Jul 2014
In reply to IMA:
But they look so cool though

I suppose you're right though. I'd really earnt one though...

I’d packed various clothes, enough sandwiches for a week, sweets, cakes, bottled water, energy drinks and gels, plenty of beer (foolishly in glass bottles), books/magazines, a tooting horn and a rucksack which I used to strap the chairs together… oh wait… did I mention the two deckchairs?! :-|
I first realised I might have a problem when we discovered that we couldn't lift my bike off the ground at all :-P It was a slight downhill to the foot of the pass, which was terrifying as the bike was very unstable and gained speed VERY quicky. There was a bit of a kerfuffle at the road closed checkpoint, where they tried to make us walk up instead of cycle, but we got through and the road started to climb - immediately I knew I was in a whole world of trouble! Made it to the end of the 18% section and it was HORRIBLE. Could hardly steer, had to put all of my weight over the front wheel to try and get grip. Then we got to the 25% section :-|
I told my friend I’d walk up and meet him at the top and inside I felt like crying. At this point there were lots of people with bikes (unladened!) but very few people were riding them. I tried to keep going as best I could and see how far I’d get up on the bike. I was stood up, leant as far forward as I could because the front wheel wouldn’t stay on the ground, slowly grinding my way up. As I slowly inched up and started passing people I became more and more excited, there was a chance I could actually do it! Bear in mind that I’d done the entire climb stood up at this point, my legs were burning like crazy, as where my lungs which became very painful indeed. It levelled off a bit and I started coughing, when I coughed my breath was peppered with flecks of blood unpleasantly. I stopped at the side of the road to wait for my friend (!) and to get my breath back, but each breath just hurt. My friend caught up to me and we set off again on the level. Well level-ish, after 25% everything else feels level :-P Sadly that section was very short and we reached the last part of the climb (25%). At this point I had nothing left to give, it was basically just the fact there were people there that shamed me into turning those pedals. I creaked my way up at a snail’s pace, my legs felt like lead weights and the bike was very unstable as the front wheel skipped around. Triumphantly I crested the summit and let out a cheer – I’d made it! :-D

We unpacked our belonging which took quite a while and then settled into our chairs. At which point my friend leaned over, pointing, and said “I think we need to load the bikes up and cycle a bit more. Isn’t that the summit, right over there in the distance…”

ARRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Richard

*I'm basing the gradients on the road signs, I don't know how accurate they are.
Post edited at 20:27
 Alyson 07 Jul 2014

I got hit on the head by a fruit shoot frisbee.

Both arms were otherwise occupied holding a baby and it didn't seem right to drop her in order to catch a small promotional toy. Also got a P&O keyring which she instantly adopted as a teether.
 GrahamD 07 Jul 2014

Haribo - thanks to a stunning left handed catch above the head - promply scoffed by Mrs D
A kofidis bag
An Ibis pillow
A wrist 'snap' thingy
Two hallam wrist bands

God, the Gendarmes looked a miserable bunch !
 mike123 07 Jul 2014
In reply to malk:
My three boys got a good mix of most of the above including british cycling snappies and a KOM cap which the 6 year old caught deftly , I m sure the fat bloke next to us thought about snatching it, he wore it all day and then lost it walking back to the car.
the boys (6,5,2)had a very amusing scuffle over the McCain seeds....."MATCHES !!!!!". Much disappointment ensued when they looked inside.. "wtf ?......seeds ?"
Post edited at 20:40
 abr1966 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

You deserve a polka dot jersey mate never mind a cap!
 IMA 07 Jul 2014

You probably pulled some faces to make Voeckler cringe. Can see why you fancied one then. More effort than I put in as I traveled fairly light (beer, croissants and some flags)
 balmybaldwin 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Lusk:

> We got 6 boxes of Yorkshire Tea off some bloke at the Keighley hub.

> Nowt on the course at Steeton.

> Did a snow plough go past at one point, or did I imagine that?!

Yep... although it was more of a road sweeper... I think they've had one ever since the tour was attacked with carpet tacks sad sign of the times, but a sensible precaution.
Removed User 07 Jul 2014

KOM hat here - had to give it to my 10 month year old son.
Bingers 07 Jul 2014

In the centre of Addingham on day 2, whilst waiting for the deppanneuse to ditch the broken down Ibis mini, one of the moto Gendarmes started removing some of his layers of clothing. This delighted the crowd so much, he made a real play of it, which earned himself a kiss (three times on the cheek, so presumably a Parisian) off a nearby woman and a huge cheer from the surrounding crowd. When it was time to go he got another set of kisses and another huge cheer.

All I got was an Ibis pillow.
 robandian 07 Jul 2014

wife got hit on the bridge of the nose by a KOM hat which left a cut and bruising - didn't even get the hat as it bounced off into someone else lap.
 thedatastream 08 Jul 2014

KOM hat
Haribo
P+O keyring
Poppy/cornflour/forget-me-not seeds from Arras
Sheffield Hallam Wristband - my fave :/
Nuffield health snap on reflector

Many many high fives from the motorcycle police
sagetheowl 08 Jul 2014

On the Cote de Midhopestones, our side, we got nothing at all, yet the other side were showered. To add insult to injury, we didn't even see ourselves on telly because the climb was only covered by helicopter pictures.
 John Ww 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Co1in H:

> I particularly wanted to see The Flouch roundabout and the left hand turn on to Woodhead after coming down from Holme Moss.

Same here - mind you, the commentary was on a par with the coverage. I was intrigued to learn that the reservoir at the bottom of the Holme Moss descent had suddenly become Ladybower Reservoir, home of the Dambuster "bouncing bomb" practices.

JW
 VS4b 08 Jul 2014
In reply to John Ww:

i think i got pretty much one of everything from the caravan plus a Yorkshire bank cycling jersey (too small), festina hat and various bags and papers from the vip village
 sbc_10 08 Jul 2014

Got smacked in the chops and almost laid out by a commemoration wallet and poppy seeds for the First World War....!!???
 sxrxg 08 Jul 2014

My sister somehow managed to get one of everything mentioned here. She also managed to get a bmc racing jersey keyring thrown out of the team car - deffo the swag of the day for us, and along with the kom hat/yorkshire tea the only thing not going in the bin!
 Richard Horn 08 Jul 2014

With regards to the Fruit Shoot Frisbee's - surely this was a fan?

Our group got:
- KOM cap (my fiance nearly jumped under a car to get this)
- Fruit-Shoot Frisbee/fan
- Squidgy cow key wring
- Sheffield Hallam wrist band
- Ibis blow up pillow (hit me in the face when I wasnt looking - gave away to a punter who clearly was upset not to have caught anything)

I really wanted some Yorkshire The...

Comedy moment was old lady nearly bowled over by airborne Ibis blow up pillow in Otley.
 Rog Wilko 08 Jul 2014

Rather bizarrely we got what looked like a hotel-style match holder which contained herb seeds. At least it was a surprise.
 Jenny C 09 Jul 2014

Glasses Cleaning Cloth
Fruit Shoots Drink - is this really marketed at kids? no wonder they have an addiction to sweet foods, I had to dilute this before I could drink it!

Really disappointed with the caravan, no real show and very few freebies being thrown in any direction. Gave up in the end and watched the riders climb up Holme Moss in the TV instead.
 Guy 09 Jul 2014

I got talking to Rod Ellingworth(performance director) at the top of Cote de Midhopestones and he gave me a bottle filled with magic Sky juice which I then consumed on my ride back over Cut Gate to Ladybower. My club mates also got bottles apart from Richard who had to give his to Danny Pate!
 Richard Carter 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Richard Horn:

"I really wanted some Yorkshire The..."

My swag level has just shot up! On the back of the box were instructions to enter a competition on Twitter, which I did... and I won a years supply of Tea! :-D
 robhorton 09 Jul 2014

A Cofidis drink bottle, complete with cold water, handed to me by the team car (I was wearing a Cofidis top).
Also a P&O keyring and sunglasses thing.
 Richard Carter 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Richard Horn:

"With regards to the Fruit Shoot Frisbee's - surely this was a fan?"

Didn't think of that, could be I suppose!
G0rdrilla 14 Jul 2014

I was half way up Crag Vale with a friend watching the race come up from Hebden Bridge. An Ag2r-La Mondiale rider threw his feed bag to side of us. My friend grabbed it and it was full of food and energy gels/drinks! Also got an inflatable pillow (bit shit) and a pack of McCains Chips planting herbs that resembled a pack of travel matches.
 Si_G 14 Jul 2014

A bottle of Buxton and a blow up doll* which I threw back into the crowd

* may have been a pillow

Cote de Midhopestones. My section was sparsely populated so they weren't chucking much out. I got a P&O keyring and some McCain seeds (sounds like they were the most common items). The camera turned to Bryan Coquard just as the motorbike passed me - because he was gurning - but at least it was a reminder of where I stood.
The TDF vans stopped there too, but after the initial exceitemtn there was a lot of "bugger that" when it turned out that the freebies were to be paid for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...