UKC

Recommend me an indoor bike trainer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 07 Jul 2014
Hi

For those not so nice winter months, I am after an indoor trainer for the garage. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that is a good buy?

Cheers
 ClimberEd 07 Jul 2014
In reply to kipper12:

Rollers

(seriously) - will improve your cycling far more than a turbo

Unless you meant the whole set up in which case a watt bike!
 Toby_W 07 Jul 2014
In reply to kipper12:
Research it very carefully, find the one you want, then put the money in a savings account, leave it there for the winter and then buy nice things for you bike for the summer.

TRUST ME on this.

OR.. if you live in the South West come and buy mine it's had very little use

Cheers

Toby

P.S Rollers are a lot more fun and a turbo may void the warranty on your bike frame.
Post edited at 14:56
 woolsack 07 Jul 2014
In reply to kipper12:

Rollers are the work of the devil. One lapse of concentration and you're off. I wonder which is worse for your frame, rollers or a turbo?
 andy 07 Jul 2014
In reply to kipper12:
Buy some lights and a decent waterproof? I managed to still average c6-700 miles a month over the winter by getting out 2 or 3 evenings for about 90 mins then a couple of decent rides at weekends.

Hate indoor anything though...
 LastBoyScout 08 Jul 2014
In reply to kipper12:

Budget?

Spend the money on a gym membership for the winter and use the spin classes, or buy a mountain bike?
 manumartin 08 Jul 2014
In reply to kipper12:

rollers, i use my kids chopper with stabilisers then go like the clappers.
 Bob 08 Jul 2014
In reply to kipper12:

I used a turbo trainer last winter to build up my strength after a hip replacement, with icy roads I wasn't going outside!

Whatever you get make sure you don't just pedal out the miles, you need a structured session every time you get on the turbo/rollers. I've a Garmin GPS unit that lets you set up several training sessions on your computer and download them to the unit then you just choose one of them, it beeps at you when you need to put in effort, slow down etc. This way it's quite easy to do an hour's session. Without a structure, i.e. just sat there spinning away, I can only do about 20 minutes before I'm bored stupid.

If you don't have a bike computer that can do the above then get a playlist on your mp3 player/phone and do efforts/rests to each track - good be interesting with a random play order. Some people use the sufferfest videos but you need a TV set up for them.

Here's Eddy Mercx on his rollers youtube.com/watch?v=_BcHekNAfOo&
 Tricky Dicky 08 Jul 2014
In reply to kipper12:

I got a cheap one off ebay which does the job. I would definitely recommend the Sufferfest videos, they really make it worthwhile.
 DJayB 08 Jul 2014
In reply to kipper12:

Any trainer will do. I have a fluid one. Pretty quiet and less noisy than a mag one.

www.trainerroad.com

Its great. Not boring. Plenty of data to keep you interested and easy to monitor progress. And you can use it with Sufferfest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...