UKC

Build a Mountain in Suffolk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MaranaF 12 Jul 2014
There are many ways to change the world and this is mine, I want to build a mountain in Suffolk, a climbing and winter sports mecca.

Join the campaign here http://igg.me/at/suffolkmountain
 1step2far 12 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

Hahahaha!!! Love the bit about deporting the whole of Woodbridge. I'd donate just for that!
OP MaranaF 12 Jul 2014
In reply to 1step2far:

You after a job on the board?... the foot hills could be extended to take out Diss...
Removed User 12 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

Seal level at 2500ft? Seals as sherpas is unique concept but the resident seals on the suffolk coast might not be in favour. I also think that you need a wall on this mountain where folk can put up bolted routes, which can then be chopped by others, and everyone can chat about it on UKC. Otherwise, it's a great mountain (oh, can it be a part of a 4 peaks route)
OP MaranaF 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed Usermountain25:

Thats a fantastic idea Mountain25, thank you for your contribution. I will forward your suggestion to the 4peaks committee for their consideration and as soon as you contribute £25,000 to the campaign you can have your brilliant wall bolted/chopped crag and we can call it the "Mountain25" crag.

Just to clarify, I suggested the alpine meadows would start at 2,500m ASL, below that would be the forests etc..

Please remember to share the campaign with your network with this link http://igg.me/at/suffolkmountain/x/8163228

Thank you!
 DaCat 12 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

This was a really amusing read... thank you
Removed User 12 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

Seeing as I live in Suffolk and therefore have an interest in this mountain, I am happy to donate 25k, but, in return for this I want:
The bolted and chopped sport climbing face
Some routes with ice (derived from a domestic fridge) deposited on them and photographed from one angle only. Those routes MUST also be summer rock climbing routes.
A conveyer belt mounted on top of the mountain (airplane compatible)
cheers!
rb
OP MaranaF 12 Jul 2014

what is the conveyor belt for?
Removed User 12 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

The conveyer belt is to see if an airplane, mounted on an conveyer belt, could take off if the belt was spun fast enough. Search these forums. This, a seemingly innocuous topic, sparked a massive thread, as did the other conditions i mentioned! I want a contentious crag!
rb
OP MaranaF 12 Jul 2014

Its a lot to ask for £25K, if we could also integrate the conveyer into the via ferrata then you could share the investment with someone else.

I look forward to receiving your £25,000

balmybaldwin 12 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

> what is the conveyor belt for?

Thats obvious... to see if an aeroplane can take off from a conveyor. Given it's location, it could also be used to see if a plane could land on a conveyor belt, a much more advanced experiment
Tim Chappell 12 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

I'm in. I've been lobbying for years for something like this for Norfolk.

How high exactly will it be? At Suffolk's latitude it needs to be 3000m to be glacial, so I'd recommend you make it about 6000m. Or you could just go the whole hog, and make it the world's 15th 8000m peak.

Above all, what is it going to be called? It needs a good name. And if it's going to be an 8000er, I can't help thinking it should have a suitably Himalayan name. Something scary and mysterious, with the killer winds of altitude hissing through it, a grunt or sob of human effort, and a hint of bleak, unknowable transcendence... Chomolhuri... Tirich Mir... Nanda Devi... Cho Oyu... something like that.
Post edited at 23:20
 Dr.S at work 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

> Above all, what is it going to be called?

Highfolk
Tim Chappell 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Folk Up?
 Dr.S at work 12 Jul 2014

well if its higher than everest:

Massivefolkup
OP MaranaF 12 Jul 2014

> How high exactly will it be?

4,357m plenty high enough to have permafrost and glaciers on the north west side sliding down towards Orford Ness.

Also that should ensure we get 2,000m of slopes for the ski station.

name .. we could sell that ... £500,000 to name a mountain?
In reply to MaranaF:

Can there be a section on the north side with permanent fixed lines all the way to the summit? This can be reserved for the richest climbers who are too busy to practice winter skills.

Also consider a fixed camera on the summit, hard-wired directly to Instagram? That way everyone in the party can be photographed on the summit bench.
OP MaranaF 12 Jul 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I think one of the rich climbers can pay for their own fixed lines.

I do like the camera idea, it will be credit card operated.
Tim Chappell 12 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

> name .. we could sell that ... £500,000 to name a mountain?

So "Etihad Summit"? "Subway Hill"? "Mount Domestos Kills 100% Of Germs Dead"?

Or I suppose there's always this option...

http://climbnz.org.nz/nz/si/aoraki/fox-range/big-mac
Tim Chappell 12 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

> 4,357m plenty high enough to have permafrost and glaciers on the north west side sliding down towards Orford Ness.

Hang on. I smell a rat. That's the height of the Dent Blanche, isn't it?

Right, I think you'd better explain to us what all those JCBs and dump-trucks are doing in Zinal
OP MaranaF 12 Jul 2014

For your half mill Tim, yes.
Tim Chappell 12 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

Sure. Just send me your bank details
OP MaranaF 12 Jul 2014

They are noting to do with me, I understand they are just on exercises... no threat...

And that smell isnt rats it sugar beet.
llechwedd 12 Jul 2014

> How high exactly will it be? At Suffolk's latitude it needs to be 3000m to be glacial, so I'd recommend you make it about 6000m.

All that weight. Surely the South East will sink and there'll be a corresponding uplift in the North Wales landmass. I think they'll have to abandon the Snowdon railway if your plan goes ahead.

> Above all, what is it going to be called? It needs a good name. And if it's going to be an 8000er, I can't help thinking it should have a suitably Himalayan name. ... Chomolhuri... Tirich Mir... Nanda Devi... Cho Oyu... something like that.

If the people of Suffolk have a hand in it, maybe Sind Actili VI would be appropriate

OP MaranaF 12 Jul 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

> If the people of Suffolk have a hand in it, maybe Sind Actili VI would be appropriate

That, is so inappropriate.
OP MaranaF 12 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

I meant to mention, we need a new grading system for this artificial mountain, I have decided it will be the "NFN" grading system and it will start at 32 and go up in increments of 11.

There will be an alternative grading system for investors with only two grades NFNY, for routes you can climb and NFNN, for those you cant.
Tim Chappell 13 Jul 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

> All that weight. Surely the South East will sink and there'll be a corresponding uplift in the North Wales landmass.

Works for me.

> I think they'll have to abandon the Snowdon railway if your plan goes ahead.

Better still!
Andy Gamisou 13 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

Much as I like the idea, I do think an entire mountain is a bit ambitious, at least at first. How about starting with some decent sized sea cliffs around Lowestoft?
 1step2far 13 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

Hahahahaha... NFN as a grading system. Brilliant!
OP MaranaF 13 Jul 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

To paraphrase Maya Angelou - "The desire to reach for the stars is ambitious. The desire to build a mountain is wise.”
OP MaranaF 13 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

Just £4,999,999 to go!
Andy Gamisou 13 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

You're right of course. I was just being selfish.
 BicycleBradley 13 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

If I were to design a crag and then some arse hole comes and bolts it, would I get a refund?
OP MaranaF 13 Jul 2014
In reply to brad8563:

NOOOO but we would allow you to shoot the person who bolted it. Also as we are using new, high tech self healing rock you can be sure it will repair it self within 24 hours of "chopping"
 d_b 23 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

I can't get at the site right now so can't evaluate either proposal, but it seems that you could build the energy transmitter on/in the mountain, along with a top secret underground base to operate it.
OP MaranaF 23 Jul 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

It cant be top secret if you just told the world!
 d_b 23 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

We just pull the logs from ukc, hunt down everyone who has read this thread and throw them in the shark tank.
OP MaranaF 23 Jul 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

i like your thinking
 1step2far 23 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

Can't believe they even have bids! Building a mountain in Suffolk is far more sensible. Just.
OP MaranaF 25 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

Fantastic news! we have doubled our funding!

Just £4,999,998 to go.

d_b 25 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:
So you doubled your funding in 13 days. My maths tells me that at this rate you will need 22.25 * 13 day cycles = 289 days to reach your initial funding goal.

This may sound a bit disheartening, but fear not! The same perfectly reasonable exponential growth assumption allows you to pay for the entire mountain with only the same wait. Construction will begin in under 2 years!

Give it another 6 months and you can build a range, or another couple of years and build a planet!

Working:

log2(5000000) * 13 = 22.253 * 13 = 289.295

log2(24000000000000) * 13 = 44.448 * 13 = 577.825
Post edited at 12:32
In reply to MaranaF:
Have you thought of applying for government funding?

A hollow mountain in Suffolk with a suitable system to open the top as required would be an excellent location for the UK spaceport.

In the event of Scotland becoming independent or the Lake Distict refusing to store the nuclear waste it could double up as a nuclear weapon launch site and nuclear waste dump.
Post edited at 15:28
 drolex 25 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

Too bad it is planned in Suffolk. If it had been built over a pigsty in Birmingham, you could have called it RasherBrum.
 drolex 25 Jul 2014
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> Have you thought of applying for government funding?

> A hollow mountain in Suffolk with a suitable system to open the top as required would be an excellent location for the UK spaceport.

Sounds more like a case of SPECTRE funding.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...