UKC

Which dérailleur to use...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 13 Jul 2014
OK, my bike has a 44/30 chain set and a cassette of 11-32. Was going to put the dérailleur on (XT RD-M786-GS) when it occurred to me that I had another one that I could put on, an XTR RD-M986-SGS.

Ordinarily I would put on the shortest cage one that has enough capacity, but it occurred to me that maybe that's not the best way of doing it. Here are my questions:

1) Instead of using the GS dérailleur which is towards the maximum of its capacity, maybe it's better to use the SGS which has plenty spare.
2) Are there any disadvantages to using an SGS dérailleur when I don't need to.
3) XT vs XTR, aside from the colour is there any advantage to using the higher level component? Weight is irrelevant on this bike. Cosmetically speaking, everything else is XTR so I guess it would look nicer :-P
4) The chain is sized so it's perfect with a GS, would I have to alter it for the GSG - I size it using the cage hanging down vertically method.

balmybaldwin 13 Jul 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

Advantage to running smaller cage is its less likely to get hit by stones etc and due to shorter chain, will cause less chain slap (as well a small weight savings)
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I see your point about hitting stuff.
Chain slap should be about the same because of the clutchy* bit shouldn't it?

Richard

*Technical term
 balmybaldwin 13 Jul 2014
In reply to Richard Carter

Didnt realise they were clutch mechs. So yep, slap will be less of an issue but the shorter one's clutch would work more effectively
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I see. Hmm can't decide now :-/
LOL

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...