UKC

Rosa Slabs - drying time?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Baynes 14 Jul 2014
I am wondering about a raid on Arran on Thursday when MWIS has it good and fancy some slabbery. But it's set for wet on Wednesady, so can anyone give me an idea how quickly the Rosa Slabs dry?

R
 Andy Nisbet 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Richard Baynes:

I've climbed there, and it was dry, but can't remember how dry in general it was. But there hasn't been a lot of rain this spring, so I'd be optimistic.
 Gael Force 14 Jul 2014

Pretty quick overnight, it's not much harder in the wet having done it both dry and wet.
In reply to Gael Force:

Ta. It appears to be one of those slabs which just sit on the hillside without a clear top and they tend to be weepers. Hopefully give it a go although the claim of the West Highalnd MWIS to cover Arran is I suspect a bit thin, and the Southern Uplands one is a bit moister.
R

Rosa slabs are pretty mince wet or dry, walk further and climb on Rosa Pinnacle. Much better routes, much nicer outlook, most routes dry atfter a mornings sunshine.

Sunny yesterday, rained today, forecast dry for tues.

Stuart
 Colin Moody 14 Jul 2014

I don't agree with the postie.

We went there last year (first time since the 80s) and really enjoyed the routes.
It is a short walk compared to Cir Mhor and I think it dries fairly quickly.

We thought the descent to the left (north) was better then to the right (south).
 Gary Latter 14 Jul 2014

Have only climbed on South Slabs, which thought were great. Superb rock, steady climbing, though not much protection - don't bother taking too many quick draws! We abseiled down couple times, leaving anchors/belays in, retrieving on final ascent. The rock looked a lot cleaner than the longer routes on the Rosa Slabs.

Not sure about drying times, but would think would be pretty quick drying in the sun. Hope this helps.
In reply to Colin Moody:

Perhaps I stand to be corrected!

Are we talking about that slab obove the grassy patch, west flank of Goatfell? Only climbed there once (mid 90's), did. 2 or 3 routes, which all belayed at same point going through overlap. Anyway......... really enjoyed a certain picture in new guide

Stuart
 Colin Moody 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Maybe you were right, I was on about the South Slabs.

I've only done three routes on the main slabs, they are a bit more broken and grassy than the South Slabs.

Billy's pics were better than mine that day.
 Andy Nisbet 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Colin Moody:

Actually I meant the South Slabs too!
 alan moore 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Yes, the routes are all a bit aimless and seem to be the result of first ascentionists looking for gaps to fill, but the rock quality is far better than Rosa Pinnacle.
As for drying time,
Have never seen them weep and isn't much sign of drainage streaks either...gullies to either side appear to take most of the run-off
In reply to alan moore:
Funny after all that .. I went back to the guide book and I meant the South Slabs too! Never got there as my mate was needed back in Glasgow by 6 and we just did a slightly damp Recess Route on the Cobbler, best all-body workout you will ever have. My mate got back at 7.
Post edited at 23:03

UKC database has South Slabs as part of Rosa Slabs, hence my slight confusion
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=306
Post edited at 11:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...