UKC

should i buy this bike?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fatboy 19 Jul 2014
Firstly, I'm a complete beginner with no knowledge of road cycling but am keen to start. I have the chance to buy a second hand bike that was involved in an accident but am unsure if it is a good idea. The bike is a felt AR3, carbon fibre frame with SRAM drivetrain etc. The guy selling it was knocked off the bike by a car, the insurance company had the frame x-rayed and there was no damage found. He has since bought himself a new bike and hence is trying to sell the old one. He wants 1000 euros for it. Also, he is a friend of my boss so not a complete stranger.

Is this a good deal or should I steer clear?

Any advice welcome.

Tom

Run_Ross_Run 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatboy:

Can you get a copy of the xray and a statement/letter from the insurance company stating the frame hasn't been damaged?

That would be my 1st step.
 ewar woowar 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatboy:

I have never heard of an insurance company X-raying a bike frame following a collision.
It isn't worth the hassle.
Most, if not all, will accept a report from a recognised bike shop. (or two)

If he has the x-rays it is down to you to make a choice.
If there is no damage, why did he get a new one?

Personally I wouldn't go near a crashed carbon frame.

sleavesley 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatboy:

If it's SRAM Red 22 the groupset costs £1150 sterling brand new so you could always swap to another bike.
The RRP is around £3400 but last years model can be had for around £2200 (sterling).
There is the fact it's been crashed, i don't know how bad it was so can't comment, but if concerned I'd try and get a cheapish frame (dolan) and swap everything across.

Haggle him down, he's been paid out so anything is something for him!
OP Fatboy 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

I should add that the bike is being sold on behalf of the guy by the bike shop that my boss uses. Yes, they have a copy of the X-ray certificate/statement from the insurance company so it all seems kosher.
 FreshSlate 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatboy:

In that case. Obtain a reasonable warranty and get the bike if you think its worth it.
 dollydog 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatboy:
1000 euros for a bike thats been in a accident?whats the point; are you focusing on this particular bike; whats a warranty gouing to do,if youre splattered all over the road.get yerself another;if the frame collapses,youll possibly die,or suffer a dire injury.do not buy this bike
Post edited at 21:05
 itsThere 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatboy:

Isn't ultrasound better for carbon. Plus if you do bin it in a crash it would be impossible to prove it wasn't your fault as they have a certificate showing it was fine. Unless they give you a warranty if it was for a new bike. Which is still sketchy.
 Yanis Nayu 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatboy:
Don't buy it; you'll always worry, and the story sounds like bullshit.
Post edited at 22:21
 balmybaldwin 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatboy:

Does the bike fit you? This is very important, much more so than getting a goid deal.

If the bike gives you pain, you wont enjoy riding it.

Go and sit on it, take it out for a spin, and if you can get a good fit with minor stem length or saddle adjustments.
OP Fatboy 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatboy:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was erring on the side of caution myself having read a bit about carbon frames but just wanted a more experienced opinion.

Ta!
altirando 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatboy:

Doesn't sound like a beginner's bike anyway - more for someone interested in racing - might not be all that comfortable for ordinary riding.
 FreshSlate 20 Jul 2014
In reply to dollydog:
> 1000 euros for a bike thats been in a accident?whats the point; are you focusing on this particular bike; whats a warranty gouing to do,if youre splattered all over the road.get yerself another;if the frame collapses,youll possibly die,or suffer a dire injury.do not buy this bike

Crikey, bit of a over reaction. YOU WILL DIE IF YOU BUT THIS BIKE.

Lesson learned: don't tell anyone about a dropped bike if you are selling.
Post edited at 15:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...