UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Knoydart, a Long Circuit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loch Hourn from Ladhar Bheinn, 3 kbOften hailed as Scotland’s ‘last wilderness’, Knoydart is a unique mainland peninsula only accessible by sea or on foot (and it’s a long walk). Of course it is nowhere near being the last, or even the 'wildest' bit of the country, but one thing is for sure - Knoydart has some of the best hillwalking anywhere. Much like the hills themselves, routes here tend to be big, rugged and inaccessible. Few fit the mould better than this tough circuit around all of Knoydart's major peaks - the multi-topped 9km-long Corbett Beinn Bhuidhe; the craggy Munros Meall Buidhe and Luinne Bheinn, more rock than grass; and Ladhar Bheinn, westernmost mainland 3000-er and contender for the most perfect. Unless you're a runner this is a two day affair with a night out somewhere along the way.

22 miles, 35.31 km, 2,970m ascent, 12 – 17 hours. Mallaig

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=671
pasbury 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

What's the story behind the weird trig point on Ladhar Bheinn?
In reply to pasbury:

I'd guess either frost shattering or lightning. Someone then came along and stuck a pointy rock in the stump.
 buzby 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

always have a smile when I think of ladhar bheinn as when my mate was doing his munro round we walked in from kinlochhourne as he had missed it during a previous visit and it was one of the last on his list.
we climbed it on a day when it was clouded in and it turned out we were not actually on the summit when we thought we were.
he didn't realise this till we got home and he was furious.
my first glimpse into the tick list mentality.
it was pretty funny though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...