UKC

SPA venues on Gower

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Wakeham 23 Jul 2014
Evening all

I'm looking for two days' worth of SPA-friendly (ie non-tidal) venues on the Gower. I'll need easy routes for 12-14 year olds, probably diff to HS - and preferably short walk-ins.

Boiler Slab seems the obvious choice for one day. Is the Devil's Truck area of Fall Bay non-tidal? Anything else I should look at?

And can anyone suggest a campsite (for me and the kids) with a pub/b&b (for the parents) within walking distance of each other?

Cheers
Jamie
 mattrm 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:
I think Boiler Slab would be your best bet.

Watch House slab might also be a good idea. It's a retro-bolted trad crag and has some easy routes. Might be a bit hard, but it's worth a look at.

Devils Truck is non-tidal, unless there's a big sea running. However it's quite polished, right next to the sea and harder to find than you might think.

If you could sack off the 'non-tidal' bit, Three Cliffs, Little Tor and King Wall would be perfect. They're on lovely beaches, you can walk round to the bottom of them, lots of good routes in that grade range. You can see the tide coming in, so there's no problem there.

Pennard/Gravesend might be an idea, but I've never been there, so don't know what it's like.

Campsite wise, Pitton Cross is quite nice. Probably not walking distance to a pub. Also the Three Cliffs site is nice. Most Gower campsites are rather expensive, so brace yourself for that.

The King Arthur hotel in Reynoldston is very nice.
Post edited at 20:55
OP Jamie Wakeham 23 Jul 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Thanks for this. I'm afraid the non-tidal part isn't negotiable, as I'm simply not insured to work outside the SPA remit. A great annoyance, as Three Cliffs and Pobbles are the only bits of the Gower I actually know and I agree they'd be absolutely perfect.

I notice that there are easy routes on either side of Foxhole Cove - any idea if they'd be suitable?

Cheers
Jamie
 gethin_allen 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:
I was thinking pennard and gravesend wall. There are some easy shortish routes and a nice easy walk off the top. The pub in Southgate isn't great but the pennard golf club bar is apparently open to the public and does reasonable food, although probably not to good if the kids want to join the parents at any point as it's quite a civilised affair. I can't think of any close campsites

Just thinking, there's a campsite at three cliffs which is a reasonable walk away.
Post edited at 23:35
OP Jamie Wakeham 23 Jul 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:
Ah - yes, looking at it, Pennard could be useful. Thanks.

No need for the camping to be anywhere near the climbing, of course. It'd just be useful logistically if the campsite had a B&B nearby for the parents.
Post edited at 23:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...