UKC

Group climbs cheddar/avon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
catems 24 Jul 2014
I am taking a group of scouts to Bristol in October for a climbing weekend and am looking for a couple of good locations for some easy single pitch, top/bottom rope locations at Cheddar or Avon Gorges.

Any suggestions as the local guides do not offer much help

Thanks

Chris
 The Pylon King 24 Jul 2014
In reply to catems:

I don't think groups are allowed at Cheddar but i may be mistaken.

Sea Walls at Avon seems popular with groups.
 andrewmc 24 Jul 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

From the BMC RAD for the North side (south side being entirely banned at the moment):

[Groups]

"The National Trust does not allow commercial activity on their land in the Gorge. Most of the land on the north side is mapped as Open Access under CRoW, however this only gives a right of access for recreational users and the NT have chosen not to allow commercial groups (i.e those paying for instruction) to use their land in this instance. Non-commercial groups for whom no money is changing hands are free to access the crags however, providing they follow the access advice above."

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/viewcrag.aspx?id=929

So if the Scouts thing is totally voluntary it should be OK. There isn't much sport below 6a though; don't know about the trad.
 zcsharp 24 Jul 2014
In reply to catems:

There's a section of the sea walls to the far right that is can be topped roped easily and isn't too hard to set it up, abseil from the top or climb up to the bolt anchors.

Its topped roped to death and has fairly easy climbs there, your only problem might be getting a space there since it fairly popular and seems that there is always some group on it.
 The Pylon King 24 Jul 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Thanks, thats good to know.
 Bluebird 25 Jul 2014
In reply to catems:

Car park quarry at Goblin Combe is a good play space. Take our scouts there. Mells/Vallis Vale is good for groups too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...