UKC

Holiday home suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dandan 28 Jul 2014
Hi all,
Myself and my dad are hoping to invest in some property in the near future and we both like the idea of a holiday home somewhere overseas.
It would particularly appeal to me if it was near some climbing of course, but it could also extend our season in a hot country if we could attract tourists in the summer and climbers in the autumn/winter/spring.

With this in mind, does anyone have any suggestions of good locations? Just a country is fine, no need to be too specific, and it doesn't have to be five minutes from a world class climbing venue, anything with a reasonable quantity of sport climbs within an hour would be good.

Any ideas?
 Owen W-G 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Dandan:

Somewhere with year round potential would be sensible.

Somewhere in S of France? Majorca?
In reply to Dandan:

Bulgaria? cheap as chips and the Bansko area has mountains, skiing and rock climbing.
 Foolow Mike 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Dandan:

Southern Spain (Salobrenea / Lanjaron). Cheap flights to Malaga from all UK regional airports; good climbing close by from September to May; great walking in the Alpujarra (Sept to June) and Sierra Nevada close by for walking, snowshoeing and skiing. If you are interested I'd be happy to give you more info.

mike
abseil 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Dandan:

> Hi all ... does anyone have any suggestions...

I have an amazingly good suggestion re holiday homes, based on experience, and honestly I am not joking.

Don't buy one. Keep your money and when YOU go on holiday, stay in a hotel.
 steve taylor 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Dandan:
Majorca would be great to attract both tourists and outdoor types. Sadly property prices are spectacularly high. You're looking at €600k+ for a 3 bed villa with a pool in the Pollensa area. Rental returns would be outstanding in the holidays though, going by what we are paying (we are staying in a villa there now).

We're looking to France (Provence), but it's not much cheaper unless you're happy to be an hour+ from the coast. For us it would eventually be a retirement home (10 years time) but rental income would support the mortgage payments until we move in full time.

I guess you need to factor-in whether you'd be happy to spend the next x years in the same place for your holidays, consider the fact that inhigh season you will have to think about rental income vs staying there yourself, plus if you're buying jointly, the way that inheritance would work and what if one of you wanted to sell and the other didn't.....
Post edited at 15:32
 Big Steve 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Dandan: Avoid Turkey, you will be opening a whole world of trouble for yourself if you try to buy there

OP Dandan 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Dandan:

Thanks everyone, some great suggestions, I need to get my atlas out and see what looks good!
 Andrew Lodge 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Dandan:

We have a place in the Languedoc about half an hour from the coast and with several good climbing venues nearby.

It lets well in summer www.hameau7.co.uk and is reasonable to get to either flying or driving. You don't have to spend all your holidays there, we are in a holiday home owners swap scheme which works very well.

Don't run away with the idea it's a bed of roses though, French bureaucracy can be a nightmare as can finding someone to look after it when you are not there and it is very fustrating to get a phone call telling you of a problem when you are 1,000 miles away.

I'm not saying don't do it but think of all the pitfalls very carefuly before buying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...