UKC

Grindelwald glacier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cheese Monkey 29 Jul 2014
Hi guys, will be off to Bernese Oberland end of August and just wondering if the best accessible glacier from Grindelwald to head to with my partner. His first time out so just to give him the feel of rope work, snow anchors, axes, crampons, crevasses etc etc before we properly head out. Half tempted to hire a guide for the day to go through it as my instruction is probably terrible!

Cheers
 ericinbristol 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

[Apologies for the hijack] Haven't heard back from you re tomorrow: I could climb tomorrow morning, finishing at 1, or climb tomorrow afternoon/evening - could be at Cheddar at 4. Also I am completely clear on Thursday to climb as well - how about The Gap again? Would prefer earlier in the day to start, but later fine too. [Hijack off]
 ericinbristol 29 Jul 2014

Just got your text. Will reply to that
 rlrs 29 Jul 2014
 Brass Nipples 29 Jul 2014

Easier is to head up to Shreckhorn hut then glacier is fairly flat directly below. Plenty of crevasses to practise with but make sure anchors are good.

Toerag 30 Jul 2014
In reply to rlrs:

Laemmeren huette was chockablock last thursday night - you'll be wanting to book your bed. I used their website and they speak plenty good-enough English. Cablecars from Kandersteg and Gemmipass were running.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...