UKC

suggestion for Lakes peak to do in a day from Blackpool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone_donkey 31 Jul 2014
My 18 yr old daughter wants to 'hike a mountain' in the Lakes next week. We'll be staying near to Blackpool and will be making a day trip of it - can anyone suggest a peak that's doable in a sensible day (no alpine start), traditional Lakeland views, walking rather than any hardcore scrambling?
 toad 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Stone_donkey:

I think the obvious one is Coniston Old Man. South Lakes, easy access from village, straightforward walk and splendid views as well as a bit of lakes industrial archaeology. It's a very popular walk, but justifiably so.
 BRUCESTRAC 31 Jul 2014

Any of them, take your pick none are exactly remote in any sense and all have good paths up them....
J1234 31 Jul 2014

I would approach via the A591 and as you enter Wndermere near Booths, park up and walk up Orrest head only half an hour up and down and was AW`s first view of the Lakes, then get back in car and head up Langdale and walk some or all of the Langdale Pikes, still my Daughters favourite walk, good paths, great views and for a first timer plenty of people around to ask the way.
Consiton Old Man by the main tourist path is a bit boring IMHO and not the best introduction to the lakes.
On the way back you could do worse than call in here http://www.wallingsfarm.co.uk/ice-cream/
 RyanOsborne 31 Jul 2014

Agree with Brucestrac, they're all easy enough from Blackpool. I did Skiddaw in a day from Blackpool once, which is probably the furthest away. Although it wasn't during the summer holidays, so traffic might be more of an issue at this time of year.
OP Stone_donkey 31 Jul 2014

I've done Coniston Old Man several times (though not with daughter). Was thinking of Helvellyn but Langdales could be a good one if the traffic's not too bad getting in. I'll get my maps & guides out when i'm at home but does Langdales start from the ODG hotel? I was thinking that the 'biggies in the middle' - Pillar, Gable, Scafell would be tough to get in/out of in a day?
 andy 31 Jul 2014
I think the walk over Brown Pike, Dow and the Old Man starting and finishing from Walna Scar is a stupendous half day + walk - superb views and rock scenery as you walk over Dow, then a brilliant view back across as you walk along the Old Man ridge. Then just walk down the tourist path and cut back after the quarries to get back to the car.
 Bulls Crack 31 Jul 2014

Most of them from Blackpool! But as others have said the Old Man of Coniston + maybe the ridge to/from Swirl How and Wetherlam makes a grand day out.
 Al Evans 31 Jul 2014
In reply to toad:

> I think the obvious one is Coniston Old Man. South Lakes, easy access from village, straightforward walk and splendid views as well as a bit of lakes industrial archaeology. It's a very popular walk, but justifiably so.

And you can see Blackpool Tower from the top of COM on a clear day.
Removed User 31 Jul 2014

The Kentmere hills are nice and rolling, once you get up there. Either side of the valley is good but the whole horseshoe a satisfying day out and generally one without the crowds.
OP Stone_donkey 04 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

So we did the Langdale Pikes, nice straightforward day, great weather too! Thanks for the tips!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...