UKC

PANTANI : The Accidental Death Of a Cyclist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jockster 31 Jul 2014
Now available on youtube:

youtube.com/watch?v=dgQUOKDVHSM&
 veteye 31 Jul 2014
In reply to jockster:

Damn,I have started watching that,and I have not got the time.
It looks really good.
Thank you for the link.
Rob
 gethin_allen 01 Aug 2014
In reply to jockster:

Thanks for the link, I was intending to have an early night tonight but now look what you've done.

pity the picture quality wasn't a bit better on the vid.
Removed User 01 Aug 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

ahhh same here...
andreas 01 Aug 2014
In reply to jockster:

My mate was an extra in this... We gathered together one Friday evening once the dvd had been released to see his big acting debut! Watched the film then after several minutes of rewinding/fastforwarding/pausing we found his 0.5 second appearence... Good film though.
 Bob Hughes 01 Aug 2014
In reply to jockster:

brilliant, that's this evening's entertainment sorted. thanks!
 malk 01 Aug 2014
In reply to jockster:
is history repeating 20 years on? eg what is next hematocrit test that will become illegal 5 years down the road?
i'd prefer dropping out with stomach cramps to crashes..
Post edited at 13:51
 Chris Harris 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Hat Dude:

"The shaven-headed rider entered a downward spiral in 1999 after he was thrown out of the 1999 Giro following the discovery of high levels of haematocrit in his blood"..

Indeed. Nasty stuff that haematocrit. They should ban it....
 zebidee 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Chris Harris:

You haematocrit, I say hematocrit ... let's kill the bald guy off.
 Bob Hughes 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Chris Harris:

> "The shaven-headed rider entered a downward spiral in 1999 after he was thrown out of the 1999 Giro following the discovery of high levels of haematocrit in his blood"..

> Indeed. Nasty stuff that haematocrit. They should ban it....

although the way they reported it is accurate. At the time there was no test for EPO so they kicked cyclists out for having over 50% hematocrit "on health grounds"
 Toby_W 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes: this is why I'm fast up hills, mine is 48!

Cheers

Toby

Mike Highbury 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

> this is why I'm fast up hills, mine is 48!

> Cheers

> Toby

I was pleased with 46.5

Damn and blast
 Toby_W 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Mike Highbury: All that and my 70 VO2 max tells me is that I'm lazy and need to try harder at my favourite sports. If only I'd had an un happy childhood and a few demons I might have been a drug fuelled pro with lots of money

Cheers

Toby

Removed User 05 Aug 2014
In reply to jockster:

Excellent and sad. A reminder that it is perhaps those on the outside of a sport that corrupt it not those who participate.
 veteye 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

That may well reflect that you were dehydrated at the time of taking your blood and that you would perform better with a lower haematocrit as you would have better general hydration.So less of the beer and more of the water..
Besides which the Hct varies all the time.
 Toby_W 05 Aug 2014
In reply to veteye:
That's my average value, while I was working at Bath Uni I volunteered myself as a guinea pig to help another academic looking into recovery rates using sports drinks with protein in them. I got a host of tests done every few weeks which was mildly interesting (and tedious, why did I say I'd do this again) but what shocked me was during the recovery periods how much you needed to eat/drink to fully achieve this, it was almost mild torture.

More water!! What about recovery beer?

Toby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...