UKC

An Teallach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 02 Aug 2014
What's the best direction (scenically and technically) for the full traverse, when taking in Loch Toll an Lochain (either at start or finish of the ridge)? I've done all the Skye ridge so technical difficulties up to Mod/Diff (we'll be solo-ing) are fine.
 kwoods 02 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

Clockwise I thought. Climbing up the height of the Corrag Bhuidhe and with it all ahead of you scenically.
In reply to BnB:

Yes definitely clockwise, with the direct route up the east side of Corrag Bhuidhe done in ascent (I'd hate to downclimb it, have abbed it in winter, but in summer if going anticlockwise you'd almost certainly skirt around it to its south which would mean missing out on the best bit of scrambling on the round). route card here: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=82
Tim Chappell 03 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

Agreed-- up Sail Liath, up and down over the pinnacles, then to Sgurr Fiona. After that there are quite a few extra tops to bag if you're in the mood. In good weather it's one of the finest mountains in the world to be on top of.
 Wainers44 03 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

We did it clockwise today in about 5 hours. Really wouldn't fancy reversing it as the wet bits are best endured at the end rather than cursed at to start with. Sandstone was lovely to scramble on, even the odd damp patch wasn't slippery.

It was a fantastic route though and we only lost the views for about 15mims as the weather was pretty kind.

OP BnB 03 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

Thanks guys. Looking at the map it seems just about feasible to contour out of Coire Toll an Lochain onto the east ridge of Sail Liath. I fancy looking up at the cliffs from up close before doing the ridge. Is my assumption correct?
 Joak 03 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

I usually drop down to the Loch Toll an Lochain after going out to the top of Glas Mheall Liath from Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill. This gives cracking views back up to the Corrag Bhuidhe ridge, on a clear day. I did the ridge last Monday in thick mist and drizzly rain with no views whatsoever. Pick a nice day
OP BnB 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Joak:

Sounds like a plan. Nice end to the day before the walk out to the car. Will definitely be saving it for a (hopefully) good day. Creag Meaghaidh Friday (weather permitting) en route to Skye then hoping to nip up to Dundonnell while my pal is staying with us. Cheers.
 Denzil 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Joak:

> I usually drop down to the Loch Toll an Lochain after going out to the top of Glas Mheall Liath from Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill.
I'll second that - used that descent, followed by contouring round to the Lochan east of Sail Liath and back down to Shenevall.

OP BnB 10 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

Did the round today, clockwise. The weather stayed sunny until the first summit and then gentle drizzle for the rest of the day. I can't think of a better day out on a single mountain excursion on the UK mainland. Highlight was the view across the lochan to the CB pinnacles. I've been looking at that photo in Ken Wilson's "The Big Walks" since I was about 13. Now I've finally been there myself. What a stunning spot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...