UKC

Tentipi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 03 Aug 2014
I keep looking at these, going away coming back and looking again. It would be the safir I suppose, but it don't know if it's worth twice the price of the onyx 5. Anyone actually use one of these regularly? It's a stupid amount of money, I know but a slightly larger tent with headroom that seems rather more robust than the usual vango big tunnel types does really appeal
 Denzil 03 Aug 2014
In reply to toad: used one on a sea kayaking trip - was superb on wet evenings when everyone could fit in, do the cooking, and later we had a fire in a small folding fire chimney in the centre of the tent. At least when kayaking the weight penalty isn't a major problem.

OP toad 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Denzil:

Thanks, I've got a lightweight tent for going off piste, so would be using this for car or possibly canoe camping. Mind you the canoe is another hypothetical at the moment
 Root1 04 Aug 2014
In reply to toad:

I found the rain blew in through the cap at the top even when tightly closed.
 Siward 04 Aug 2014
In reply to toad:

I have one (about half price used from ebay hooray) and love it. The price is less offensive when one sees that the construction really is of hilleberg quality.

It does need good pegging points in the wind as I discovered to my cost when it blew over one night in Mull where the pegs didn't have sufficient purchase in the thin soil (there was also a guy line knot malfunction but that wasn't the tipi's fault!).

But given a secure pitch it is great. I use an old paint tin for burning coals, stick it in the middle of the tipi and enjoy. It is so much better on a cold February night than a tent.

My 5 man is best for two or three people for comfort.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13818533@N04/sets/72157604455682765/

OP toad 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Siward:

ta. Can I ask which model you've got?
 Siward 04 Aug 2014
In reply to toad:

Yep its an older one called the Arran 5 I think.
Lightweight green nylon with a separate inner and no fancy venting system- just one that can be adjusted from outside which I find perfectly acceptable.

Probably one of the simpler models in the range at the time- no reinforced edge for example or outer vents but still top quality materials and I'm happy with it. In reality plenty of air can get in under the eaves for a fire and I don't think an (expensive) inner tent is really needed (the old outers had no netting in them which the newer ones seem to)just something for a groundsheet, even if just karrimats. Most of the time I have my groundsheet zipped right back anyway to expose the ground and allow spillages to seep away- a great feature!

mark burley 11 Aug 2014
In reply to toad:

I considered it but went for the Helsport Varanger camp instead as more practical fore rain lashed lakes trips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...