UKC

wide sleeping bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pff 05 Aug 2014

Hi, Ive been out camping twice in the last fortnight and have sore hips and knees. I think that if I had a wider sleeping bag in which I could move my knees and feet further apart, I could get a more natural sleeping position for me. Has anyone seen such a bag? Im hoping to do some ML overnight hikes and camps during the Autumn /Winter, so it needs to be relatively compact/warm/light.
Post edited at 01:14
 deepsoup 05 Aug 2014
In reply to pff:
A Mountain Equipment 'Dreamcatcher' might be just the thing, but having a quick rummage around online I'm not sure they make them any more.

It is (was?) a sleeping bag with an elasticated section around the knees to allow you a lot of movement, for example to sleep on your side with one leg straight and the other knee bent.

I've had one for years (bought cheap in a sale at Magic Mountain in Glossop - miss that shop!), and I love it.

Edit to add:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3792
Bah. Look at that. This would be perfect if you weren't three years too late.
Post edited at 07:31
 Joss 05 Aug 2014
In reply to pff:
Have you looked into 'sleeping quilts'. Fast becoming popular on the backpacking scene. I always use a down bag, zipped halfway to tuck my feet in and the rest like a quilt, works well.
A standard bag doesnt refect heat from the surface thats being laid on anyway because the down/filling is compressed.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/category-56.html

ben b 05 Aug 2014
In reply to pff:

Might not be the bag - what are you sleeping on?

I'm considerably less stiff on a decent mat than on some bubble wrap, or a closed cell foam mat.

Nemo make down bags with a 'figure 8' shape to allow leg movement but I'm afraid I won't fit in

b
 sbc_10 05 Aug 2014
In reply to pff:

Western Mountaineering do wide(r) bags.
Price is a bit stiff though and you might need a lie down if you buy one.
I bought the Alpenlite and it is terrific as you have room to move and spin, yet it is still lightweight.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-bags-c21/sleep...

top cat 05 Aug 2014
In reply to pff:

My Mountain Hardware s/bags are the widest I've ever used.........
Bellie 05 Aug 2014
In reply to pff:

I have a snugpak bag which has a baffle which expands the bag during summer to give you more room.

Do you camp out often? the reason for asking is that when I started out in a sleeping bag I found it very restricting and uncomfortable. However after a while I got used to it and now sleep soundly in a mummy bag no problem.

The Snugpak is the Softie Autumn.

OP pff 05 Aug 2014
In reply to ben b:

I dont think its the mat (Neo-air), I like to lie in the "recovery position" and change sides and its the having to keep the knees together whether on tummy or back.
m0unt41n 06 Aug 2014
In reply to pff: I also find I cant sleep properly in a mummy bag so use a Semi rectangular bags from Western Mountaineering for treks and base camps. Then a mummy shaped one above Base Camp where you aren't going to sleep very well anyhow.

I think Western Mountaineering are better made than PHD and have at least as good materials and down and I have sleeping bags and jackets from both.
The quality of the stitching is better. At times PHD remind me of Paramo in terms of workmanship.

Both are good, just for the price, WM is better.
windjammer 07 Aug 2014
In reply to pff:

i buy mountain equipment bags as they seem to be a bit wider i have the xero range and they are elasticated seams,and they do extra long and wide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...