UKC

No spares for Pod Sacs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 owrehleeoh 06 Aug 2014
Thought I'd better post a note given my experience with Pod's new owner Planet X.
My Alpine 50 is a great sac. Plenty big enough for everything, a great back, extendible/removable lid pocket and pretty tough to boot.
The removable lid pocket means the two front closure straps are also removable. So my German Shepherd decided to remove one! Not a huge disaster as she did a lovely precision job, did not damage to the rest of the bag so all I need to do is replace the removable strap and buckles.
So I contact Planet X and the only option I am given is to buy a replacement bag. They don't carry spares for bags and shoes.

So if you're thinking of buying a Pod sac and feel you may ever need a spare buckle, strap, or clip, then be warned up front you won't be able to get one.

Shame

Aurelio
 Fiona Reid 06 Aug 2014
In reply to owrehleeoh:

If it helps, most big outdoor shops have spare parts sacks. Outside stock some pod sac spares and Needlesports have a large range of buckles and sell pod sacs so might be able to help create a replacement strap.

Gazlynn 06 Aug 2014
In reply to owrehleeoh:

Sorry you've probably done this but have you checked here

www.podsacs.com/c/q/buckles-and-straps

Cheers

Gaz
 Coel Hellier 06 Aug 2014
In reply to owrehleeoh:

> So I contact Planet X and the only option I am given is to buy a replacement bag.
> They don't carry spares for bags and shoes.

> So if you're thinking of buying a Pod sac and feel you may ever need a spare buckle, strap, or clip,
> then be warned up front you won't be able to get one.

So Planet X don't stock the spare (for any brand presumably?) and you blame this on Pod Sacs? Why?
 psaunders 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Planet X now is PodSacs.
 Timmd 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Planet X bought Pod Sacs
 RyanOsborne 06 Aug 2014
In reply to owrehleeoh:

I got a spare buckle for my Podsac Rocksack recently, from Gazlynn's link. Had to pay for it though, unlike Osprey who send me buckles and spares for free, even when it's my fault that they broke.
Post edited at 12:15
OP owrehleeoh 06 Aug 2014
In reply to owrehleeoh:
Thanks for the helpful posts. I managed to find a strap of the right width and canabalised the clip from one of the side compression straps. All I need is to replace that clip. I'll check the links.
I haven't looked, but would be surprised if Planet X didn't have some green blurb on their web site which this seems incompatible with.

Aurelio
OP owrehleeoh 22 Aug 2014
In reply to owrehleeoh:

So I checked out Gazlynn's link, and lo and behold the buckles seem to be the correct sort !!
Not sure how I missed those, I guess I got distracted by the idea of getting the whole strap and then the incredulity of no spares made me somewhat target focussed. The situation is therefore not quite as bad as my original post paints, but is also far from ideal.
Have ordered some 20mm ones, and just to prove I'm not losing the plot here is the mail trail which is edited for brevity but is not missing any of the detail.

Aurelio

====================
Aurelio (Client) Posted On: 30 July 2014 06:59 AM

I have a blue Pod Alpine 50
My dog has managed to remove and destroy one of the two main front closing straps for the extendable lid.
The buckle sewn to the main body and the one on the lid are completely untouched thanks to her surgical precision
Can I get a replacement complete with relevant clips and buckles ?
The usual question of how much and how quick applies.
Many thanks
Aurelio

==============================================

Hi Aurelio,
Thank you for your e-mail.
I can confirmw e can sell these - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPA50/pod-alpine-50-back-pack.
However, in terms of delivery we would be looking at 1-3 working days.
Kind regards
Scott

Um ..... I don't want a replacement pack, I want a replacement strap. After all it is removable.
Aurelio

Hi Aurelio,
I can confirm that we do not hold spares for this unit.
We only offer replacements unfortunately.
Please can you advise on how you wish to proceed?
Kind regards
Scott

Scott,
Thanks for the reply.
Am I correct therefore in understanding that Pod do not stock or supply
spare parts for their packs ?
Aurelio

Hi Aurelio,
We as a company do not sell or provide spares no.
If we could do this for you we certainly would but on this occasion it is not possible and a full replacement would need to be issued.
Kind regards
Scott

Scott,
Thanks for the response. I'm afraid I'm going to have to find an
alternative, as apart from the cost it seems just wrong to replace an
entire bag just because a small and easily replaced component is broken.
Hardly the green approach.
Were I to replace the whole bag, now that I know you do not provide a
spares service, I am unlikely to select Pod as the replacement. A shame
really as its a nice bag.
Aurelio

Hi Aurelio,
I agree here, we do carry spares for bikes and frames etc, it can be difficult with bags and shoes at times.
Would you like me to ultimately request a refund on your account?
Kind regards
Scott
 muppetfilter 22 Aug 2014
In reply to owrehleeoh:

That's such a shame, I stood on the buckle of my Cragsack about five years ago and snapped the stitched part. They happily asked me to retuen it and repaired it free of charge.
I guess as companys get bigger and manufacture is moved to cheap overseas sweatshops the personal touch is lost.
 PPP 22 Aug 2014
In reply to owrehleeoh:

I have managed to break a chest strap buckle on my Berghaus sack so I e-mailed them and asked if it's possible to get a replacement. They sent me one buckle with totally different design and size buckle which I couldn't even fit on the rucksack. I think I contacted them to tell that the buckle was not the right one, they sent me another one... which wasn't the one I needed either.

Luckily I've got too many spare rucksacks and I realized it's standard 15mm Duraflex buckle so I can replace it myself from another rucksack. I'm glad Berghaus wanted to help, but sadly it wasn't enough.
 DaveHK 22 Aug 2014
In reply to owrehleeoh:

Lately Planet-X have been building a reputation for woeful customer service.
 nniff 22 Aug 2014
In reply to owrehleeoh:

Just let me get this straight:

Your dog ate something and you're complaining that the company doesn't supply replacements. Notwithstanding that, you now do have a spare, but you're still complaining?

I don't think I've ever bought a rucksack with regard to the availability of spares. Articles with wearing components, like ice axes, maybe, but a rucksack?

Now, if it has fallen apart after a week rambling through the New Forest and they had been dismissive, well complain then, but get a sense of perspective please.

angry pirate 22 Aug 2014
In reply to nniff:

> Just let me get this straight:

> Your dog ate something and you're complaining that the company doesn't supply replacements. Notwithstanding that, you now do have a spare, but you're still complaining?

I think it's the absurdity that a whole rucsac has to be replaced for the loss of a buckle. You wouldn't expect to buy a new car if the tyre got a puncture because you'd hit a pothole too fast.

It is my expectation that a manufacturer carry spares as part of their aftersales service.
I have lost buckles off Berghaus rucsacs on two seperate occasiins. Both times they have sent me a replacement buckle free of charge (despite me offering to buy one). Sadly the second time they had modified their buckles so the new ones didn't fit. They sent me an entire replacement chest strap to solve the problem. Service like that is why I keep buying berghaus packs. Sounds like I'll be giving Pod a miss then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...