UKC

Salopettes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sweenyt 08 Aug 2014
Hi,

I've only been skiing for a few years and have always skied in a pair of over thick winter climbing trousers. These are also a bit too thick for even the wildest Scottish days, so I am finally biting the bullet and investing in some decent salopettes. I think.

What recommendations do you have for lower body clothing? I'd like to to be as versatile as possible, so I can do piste skiing, break into ski touring and winter climbing all in the same pair if possible. I know this will lead to a compromise on certain aspects.

Would you recommend a beefy softshell? Some hardshells with leggings? What would you do?

Specific links welcome, but keen to hear from experience as to the best solution.

Many thanks,

H
 Scomuir 08 Aug 2014
In reply to sweenyt:

Mountain Equipment g2 http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/g2-ultimate-mountain-pant

For really bad days, wear a pair of 3/4 length thermals underneath, so that they don't tuck into your ski boots.
OP sweenyt 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Scomuir:

Thanks, I've had a look. Shame they only come in black - I'm trying to stop looking like a chubby ninja.
 Scomuir 08 Aug 2014
In reply to sweenyt:

I got a light grey pair last year. Might be worth hunting around to see if any shops have any left? I had a black pair that I wore out, and bought the grey ones to replace them. Great for skiing and climbing.
 Mr Trebus 08 Aug 2014
In reply to sweenyt:

I use the £40 Decatalon alpine pants much beloved on UKC. They are great!

Sportpursuit often has decent deals on skiwear.

Al
 Got a job rob 04 Sep 2014
In reply to sweenyt:

Any Paramo stuff will do the job. they have a 2nds shop on ebay.

hudav 04 Sep 2014
In reply to sweenyt:

I used to ski in a set of old hardshells (mesh lined), with or without thermals underneath depending on the weather.

Bought some ME G2 soft shells last year for alpine stuff, and skiied in them this year and they were superb. Like having the removable braces that come with them since it keep them up when you are sitting on lifts etc. Bottem of trousers are well cut in my opinion, I can zip the bottem nearly closed around my ski boots, yet they are nice and snug around my mountaineering boots too.
 TomBaker 04 Sep 2014
In reply to hudav:

another +1 for sportpursuit.

On another note its hard shells with thermals if required for me. Too much padding/insulation and you roast when you're working hard, and ski wise the hard shells just wear so much better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...