UKC

Are the prices really too high in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 08 Aug 2014
I randomly looked at Czech shops and guess what...
http://www.hudy.cz/friendy_vklinence_skoby/rock-empire-brass-chocks-set,732...
vs
http://fallingrocks.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=66

623 Czech Republic Koruna equals 17.866 British Pound Sterling! That's a set of micro nuts for more than 3 times cheaper than in the UK. I found Evolv Shaman shoes for 60~70 pounds as well. Okay, UK is obviously richer country and the prices will be different, but ordering from abroad is quite tempting...

What do you think? Has anyone ordered some climbing hardware from abroad?
 Mike-W-99 08 Aug 2014
In reply to PPP:

Try looking at c4 cams , cheaper here. I'm guessing it's because it's locally produced kit you are looking at?
 coreybennett 08 Aug 2014
In reply to PPP:

I would buy things like shoes etc but not nuts, if your placing your life onto them I would rather trust the seller and know that they are up to UK standard
 flaneur 08 Aug 2014
In reply to coreybennett:
> I would buy things like shoes etc but not nuts, if your placing your life onto them I would rather trust the seller and know that they are up to UK standard

I'd trust my life to gear made in Czech Republic.

I'm less enthusiastic about gear made in China, even when it has UK/US branding. Wild Country found out the hard way.
Post edited at 20:02
 andrewmc 08 Aug 2014
In reply to PPP:

If it is sold in the EU, then it will generally have the appropriate European certification. I would also trust Czech gear.

Freedom of movement of goods means that if you can buy something somewhere in the EU you should be able to buy it anywhere in the EU. So if you want to save the cash, by all means buy from within the EU... from outside the EU things get more complicated and taxes and customs start to apply.
 robbo99 08 Aug 2014
In reply to coreybennett:

> I would buy things like shoes etc but not nuts, if your placing your life onto them I would rather trust the seller and know that they are up to UK standard

Great, but that wasn't the point the OP was making.

BnB 08 Aug 2014
In reply to PPP:

I've bought a pack from GoCragging (Italy) and a rope from Outdoorworks (Germany). Prices and service were excellent on both cases and I would do so again.
 NottsRich 12 Aug 2014
In reply to PPP: Compared to prices in Aus and NZ, the UK is very reasonably priced indeed.
 proandras 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Yes, I am Hungarian and I usually order my gear from British webshops
Your webshop deals (DMM mostly) are 0,6-0,7 of the prices what I could find locally in either shops or webs (depends on change rate). Generally, stuff from local manufacturer are significantly cheaper. Just check some DMM or WC gear at German or Austrian shops.

Czech stuff are reliable, slightly inferior to DMM or WC, but worth their price.
 afrosam 12 Aug 2014
In reply to PPP:
Interested to know where the £60-£70 Shaman's are if you wouldn't mind pointing them out.
 muppetfilter 12 Aug 2014
In reply to PPP:
I recall at the time they humped the prices of boots up as it being :
A. Exchange rate ..
B. Wholesale oil price

Now, it seems to me that since both of these have drastically changed then we should be in for a price drop. Then again I could just be a cynic and see that retailers have used these excuses to screw us out of more money.
Post edited at 14:46
OP PPP 12 Aug 2014
In reply to afrosam:

I definitely have seen them "somewhere", but can't remember whether it was on my phone or laptop - I will try to find them, but can't promise anything!

I can recall that I had to convert Czech currency to GBP, so that was definitely Czech shop.
OP PPP 12 Aug 2014
In reply to afrosam:
Just checked my phone and found them.
http://restdayshop.cz/cs/evolv-shaman

I have no idea how reliable this shop is and whether they send to the UK either. However, I realise that flying there with Ryanair, buying all rack and spending some time climbing/hiking/travelling would still be cheaper than doing the same locally. I have heard that many British people come to my home country to have parties because of cheap booze. The beer is even better/cheaper in the Czech Republic rather than in Lithuania.
Post edited at 15:11
 afrosam 12 Aug 2014
In reply to PPP:

Thanks, no idea whether they'd deliver to the UK or not, I must say my Czech is none existent

It's a shame we don't see the same price reductions in the UK when there are variations in the materials etc. I assume it's because the shops/manufacturers see that there are still people willing to pay ridiculous prices for brand new kit... I'm all for waiting a while and finding stuff in a sale.
Removed User 12 Aug 2014
In reply to afrosam & muppertfitter:

> retailers have used these excuses to screw us out of more money.

> It's a shame we don't see the same price reductions in the UK when there are variations in the materials etc...I'm all for waiting a while and finding stuff in a sale

Arguably that's just screwing the retailers out of money.
 Kemics 12 Aug 2014
In reply to PPP:

Check out the price of gear in Norway if you want to cheer yourself up
 NottsRich 13 Aug 2014
In reply to PPP: I quite like how in the UK 'tourist brands' (TNF etc) are more expensive. If they are willing to pay those prices then good for them. 'Real' brands are usually a little bit cheaper which is good.
needvert 13 Aug 2014
In reply to PPP:

Don't live in the UK, but I get most of my stuff from the US.

Despite having spent hundreds in international couriers, I've saved money and gotten a much bigger range of gear to pick from. Often stuff is around half the price.

Here if its less than ~900USD, you don't have to pay any tax coming into the country - (I gather you guys don't have that luxury with VAT).

Just to pick the Hilleberg site as an example, http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/tarra/tarra.php vs http://hilleberg.se/product/tarra , the latter being 50% more expensive. Damn.

Happy to buy things locally where fit is important, shoes or clothing for example. But for everything else, I have no interest in supporting either profiteering or grossly inefficient distribution mechanisms.
 Andy Say 13 Aug 2014
In reply to flaneur:

> I'd trust my life to gear made in Czech Republic.

You probably do without even knowing it
 Chris Shorter 13 Aug 2014
In reply to afrosam:
> (In reply to PPP)
>
> Thanks, no idea whether they'd deliver to the UK or not, I must say my Czech is none existent
>

I live in the Czech Republic and there is a Hudy Sport in every large town; it must be the biggest outdoor retailer here.

If they will take an order from the UK, the exchange rate is very much in your favour at around 35CZK to 1£ - in 6 years of making money exchanges I've very rarely seen it above 33 and it's often been below 30. The Czech National Bank is trying to keep the CZK low against the EURO to keep Czech industry competitive.

Good luck with the Czech language; I've been studying it for four years and it's still a big mystery!

Chris
OP PPP 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Chris Shorter:

Hanibal.cz ships for free to the UK if you reach about 200 pounds mark. 6 wire gates, 3 HMS screwgates, hex set, micro wires set, nuts set, 4 x 60cm slings and 2 x 240cm slings comes for 120 quid...

I am not looking to buy it just now, but will probably do an order over winter or something.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...