UKC

ben Cruachan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
donal 09 Aug 2014
Is there another parking area at end of tarmac road that leads to dam,i was told there is has anyone else used it,is it the old military road from st connells church i would take,was going to park at station but was told this is better.
andymac 09 Aug 2014
In reply to donal:

I usually just park at the side of the A85 ,below the railway station.

The first mile up through the jungle to the dam is a tough start to the day,but adds to the achievement.

Also means you are climbing the entire couple of thousand feet.

And not cheating by parking at the dam

Don't know if the dam road is open to public use anyway.
donal 09 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

Was going to park there someone mentioned another parking space ,its not all way to dam its incase no room at station some tarmac road cant find it on map was just wondering were it was, if anyone had used it before i know theres parking farther along road also.Not bothered just never heard about this road.
andymac 09 Aug 2014
In reply to donal:

When you are up at the dam ,it looks like the road comes from the direction of Lochawe village.

Use the A85 fairly regularly ,and can't think where the dam road starts
 crustypunkuk 09 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

When I was up last year, I parked in the forestry car park a couple of miles past it. I ended up walking down to the shores of loch etive then up the back of stob diamh and over cruachan then down into the glen and up the other two on the other side ( who's names escape me at the mo) then back around the shores of etive and back to the car. 26 miles in total, but an absolutely fantastic day that I'd definitely recommend.
andymac 09 Aug 2014
In reply to crustypunkuk:

You must have had your porridge that day.

Up the back of Stob Diamh sounds steep.

I went from Stob Diamh to Cruachan summit ,and there was some airy drops to my right.

Cruachan Horseshoe was /is a great walk.

It might not surprise you ,but I managed to do the Horseshoe the wrong way round.

Joak 09 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

>

> It might not surprise you ,but I managed to do the Horseshoe the wrong way round.

Didn't realise there was a right or wrong way round to do the Cruachan Horseshoe. If there's a stiff breeze blowing from either east or west, I'll make sure it's on my back
 crustypunkuk 09 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

Aye, the back of diamh was a feckin huge never ending boulder field. Couple of faces that looked like they could have winter potential too, but it would need dedication to do that walk in during winter conditions!
andymac 09 Aug 2014
In reply to Joak:

Guides say to do Cruachan first.

I didn't even realise I had done 2 Munros that day.
 Joak 09 Aug 2014
In reply to crustypunkuk:

A few winters ago me and a couple of mates went to do a clockwise round of Cruachan. Deep, deep snow. We bailed out half way along. Descending Coire Cruachan was a knackerin time consuming wade. Long story short. I was well over an hour late in getting home to take ma missus and her pals tae their Xmas night oot. My excuse "It's no ma fault Marion, the snaw wiz really shite!!" didnae quite cut it!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...