UKC

sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Kaizen Adventurer 10 Aug 2014
need some glacier glasses and better poles for mountaineering (saw some with picks in the handles) any advice.
 PN82 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Kaizen Adventurer:

You haven't said where you are going or what you will be doing but hopefully my 2 cents will be helpful.

For the glacier glasses then you can get category 4 lenses mountaineering sunglasses from decathlon that provide all the protection you need for alpine/high altitude for £29.99. If you go on to their website they have a range of them. I have the interchangeable lenses so cat 2 for Scotland and 4 for alps.

For poles id give the ones with picks as miss, if you need an axe then take one, the half pole/axe combo don't offer the safety, strength and security of an axe. I personally use black diamond expedition poles, the latest ones are perfect for mountaineering, strong, light, easy to use with gloves (flick lock) have an extra rubber grip on the shaft so you can grip the pole lower down if traversing. Retail at £74.99 a pair but if you are BMC, MCofS, MTUK etc member then you will get a nice discount on them. Also each section is replaceable so if you break a bit you don't need to buy a whole new pole.

Enjoy the mountains whatever you are upto!
 Kai 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Kaizen Adventurer:

Julbo sunglasses with the changeable photochromatic lenses (Zebra or Camel) are terrific. Lots of different frame styles to choose from.

Adidas Terrex Pro sunglasses are also very good, but extremely expensive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...