UKC

Which SLCD camming devices last longest?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pay Attention 11 Aug 2014
Checking my rack I find that one of my cams is down to a couple of strands on the trigger wire. It's not too long before it becomes unusable.

It's a Wild Country Friend. I've had this problem before with Wild Country Friends. I don't expect these products to last forever, but this seems to be a problem that occurs more frequently than I would like. Especially taking purchase price into consideration.

I want to replace my 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 cams with a more durable product.

Which camming devices last longest? (and why?).
 lithos 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Pay attention:

replace the trigger wires ? cams should last ages subject to wires and tapes being
replaced occasionally (and your level of abuse .
Some of the softer ones (aliens) will wear down more quickly.

I find BD ones a bit more robust though.
 alooker 11 Aug 2014

just replace the trigger wire!
In reply to alooker:
> (In reply to Pay attention)
>
> just replace the trigger wire!

+1
They sell a kit for it; worked well with mine. Repairs two cams (I seem to recall)
 jkarran 11 Aug 2014

> Checking my rack I find that one of my cams is down to a couple of strands on the trigger wire. It's not too long before it becomes unusable.
> Which camming devices last longest? (and why?).

So why not replace the trigger wires?

The longest lasting cams I know of are some very early original Friends a mate has, they're pretty dog eared, the lobes are funny shapes and most of the bits have been bent and or replaced at least once but they still work.

jk
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to Pay attention)
>
> [...]
>
>
> The longest lasting cams I know of are some very early original Friends a mate has, they're pretty dog eared, the lobes are funny shapes and most of the bits have been bent and or replaced at least once but they still work.
>
> jk

Sounds like time for some new ones...
My BD 4 four lasted one climb. I dropped it in the sea. They don't float. Rubbish.
Post edited at 12:04
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:
> (In reply to Pay attention) My BD 4 four lasted one climb. I dropped it in the sea. They don't float. Rubbish.

You couldn't even ask for a refund as you didn't have it anymore
 andrewmc 11 Aug 2014

I believe this is the obligatory link for cam wire repair, courtesy of Chris Tan Death Products...

http://www.kakibusok.plus.com/Equipment/RewireCams1/Rewire1.htm
OP Pay Attention 11 Aug 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Thanks for the link Andrew. THAT is something I will try out.

May scare off nervous seconds though.
 beardy mike 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Pay attention: Done this to a load of cams I lent to a mate. He's been using them hard since November and the strimmer wire doesn't even look worn...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...