UKC

Derry Burn footbridge down?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OMR 11 Aug 2014
Have just heard that the footbridge across the Derry Burn, at the foot of Glen Derry in the Cairngorms, was washed away in this morning's rains. Braemr Mountain Rescue Team has a number of photos and videos on their Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/#!/braemarmrt?fref=ts - showing exceptionally high river levels. Bob Scott's Bothy was also flooded - extent of damage not yet known, although it is still standing.
If you have a trip planned up that way, check the situation before you go and be prepared to be flexible.
 iainpowell 12 Aug 2014
In reply to OMR:
I cycled out that way this morning to have a look. The bridge has snapped and been turned 90degrees down stream. I'm not sure about the metal bridge further up the glen although a few people headed that way. You could see where the water has been around Bob Scott's bothy although the inside looks fine. I didn't have a proper look as there were a couple of people sleeping in it when I went past.

Quite impressive to see! The main land rover track is ok for feet and bikes but there were a few soft spots almost like quick sand. The river is much wider in places due to it undercutting and collapsing the path and the bank!

Cheers,
Iain.
OP OMR 12 Aug 2014
In reply to iainpowell: Thanks for the info Iain. I take it the road from Braemar to Linn of Dee is open again - I understand it was closed for a bit.
pra 12 Aug 2014
Thanks Iain, for that info.
OP OMR 14 Aug 2014
In reply to OMR: Report from Mntn Guide Tim Hall that bridges at Corrour, Luibeg, Derry Dam and Coire Etchachan are all still standing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...