UKC

Hiking boots and sewage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 11 Aug 2014
To cut a long story short, Hannah's shop got flooded and I've spent much of the day standing in 1-2 inch of sewage / flood water. Since I don't own wellies, I was wearing my big boots (Scarpa Cristallo).

The boots were not fully immersed at any point and no fluid actually got into the boot.

My question is (you've guessed it): how best to clean them?

Is it safe to soak them in a bowl of diluted disinfectant, or will that kill the Goretex lining? Any other method that should work?
In reply to Only a hill:

Bump.
 Rick Graham 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Walk for a hundred metres through some wet grass.

Leave to dry.

Sorted.
 craig h 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

I'll second Rick on that recommendation.
 Reach>Talent 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Only a hill:
Bit of Milton and a soft brush should sort it, I don't think it will harm goretex.
 marsbar 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

I have washed goretex approach shoes in the washing machine with disinfectant before, no harm done. Probably for boots I would stand them in a tray of dilute disinfectant and warm water for a while then rinse and reproof once dry.

Sorry to hear about the flooding Hannah.
 abh 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Hi, can't offer much advice on the shoes, but hope Hannah's shop (and everybody else affected by the flooding) is not too badly damaged.

Good luck
 Simon Caldwell 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Same way you'd deal with boots after walking through a farmyard - water and a brush. Unless you're planning on licking them then I wouldn't risk disinfectant.
 Trangia 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Only a hill:
Sorry to hear about Hannah's shop flood.

Just a thought, but presumably her business is insured? If so wouldn't replacement of the boots form part of a legitimate claim? Might be worth a try.

Otherwise the long wet grass in a rainstorm walk sounds the best option.
Post edited at 09:17
OP Only a hill 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Thanks. She is insured, but to be honest I rather like these boots and would prefer to keep them
 Garbhanach 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Take nthem to an airport and ask them to put them through the scanner a few times a dose of radiation should do
 Yanis Nayu 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

I would just rinse them then let them dry.

Good luck sorting the shop out; must be a sickener.
 buzby 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Only a hill:
give them a good wash and don't bite your nails after tying your laces.
Post edited at 09:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...