UKC

Inca Trail Guiding Companies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The OH has decreed that we should go do the Inca Trail next year. I'm quite happy about this, but have just found out that independent trekking is verboten and we have to go with a company.

Anybody got any experience, good or bad, of any individual companies?

Many thanks

Martin
 neil9216 13 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

Hi
I know this not exactly what you have asked however as you mentioned that trekking independantly is verboten as you put it I thought I would mention that
My girlfriend and I trekked independantly to Machu Pichu in 2012.
We did the Salkantay trek it takes around the same time as the inca trail.
Obviously it's not the inca trail, if like us tho you don't like being herded in a group and would prefer to do things independantly then it may be worth a look.

Also check out choquequirao.
It's supposed to be more impressive than Machu Pichu with less crowds as it's a total bugger to get as you have to cross valleys dropping and climbing each day.

There is a 9 day trek that combines the two.

Cheers

Neil
In reply to neil9216:

That is some cracking advice - I must admit, as it wasn't my idea, I haven't yet done any research. It's Machu Picchu (sp?) that's the main draw, so anything which gets us away from herded traffic would be much better.

I'll look into both of those - great stuff and thanks very much.

Martin

Ps I may have some questions for you later on, if that's OK?
 neil9216 14 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:
Not a problem.
If you have any questions just ask.

Neil
Post edited at 05:52
 Ian Archer 14 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

Im doing the Salkentay treck in September - ill let you know how we get on with the company we are with. You can still do this on your own at the moment but I think they are looking to change this soon.
If you want to do the Inca trail - book asap we looked at booking in March this year for September this year and it was fully booked from March.

I agree with neil9216 - from what we can see you will be starting with 400 people on the same day - all following each other.
Ive been reading the book 'turn right at Machu Picchu' - worth a read and from this it looks like that other less well known trecks north west from MP would take you into even less visited areas.

If you do want to go with a trecking company and want to book in advance most want you there 3 days before the start so you can acclimatise and they ask you to get attend a breifing 2/3 days before to make sure this happens - thought you may want to know so you can plan for it.

Drop me a line if you want to get any more info.

Stone Idle 14 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

Book well ahead and pepare to be disappointed - or check this out:
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/peru/machu-picchu/alternate-tra...

MP is spectacular but the train is best unless you try one of these alternatives - the Salcantay trail, previously mentioned, is good
 mnf_nelson 14 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

We used http://www.perutreks.com they were excellent, food was amazing! That was just over 2 years ago
 Darron 14 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

Did the Inca trail independently in 2000. By far and away the worst trek I've done. We called it the 'stinka trail'. It's been used and abused.
 papashango 14 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

Have you been to Iceland? Look up the Laugavegur trail, its pretty awesome, apparently one of the top 3 walks in the world with Inca and I think Everst base camp or something.

You can extent it to the coast which is an absolute must, past the 2010 volcano eruptions. Cheaper and quieter than Inca probably!

Message me if you want any more info, just spent a couple of weeks walking across Iceland

Cheers
 JCurrie 14 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:
I did it with an organised group. Never felt herded, nor did I feel that the trail was overcrowded. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable about Inca history, Inca astrology, local flora and fauna etc and really made the trip so much more than it would have been had I opted for the independent option.
This was around 2000 mind, so I can't recall the name of the company nor the guide.
J

In reply to Darron & maisie:
I dont agree Darron- i did it in 2005, and it was pretty good really. on the same trip did a 5 day trek across the colca canyon over the 5000m paso cerani to andagua, and the huayhuash circuit. the inca trail was as good as the others in its own way. the first two days are nothing special, but the third and fourth, walking from inca ruin to ruin on ancient staircases through the cloud forest are pretty much unique. yes its busy, yes, the toilets smell, but i'd say its not to be missed.

but if you can do another trek too for contrast, the colca one was mind blowing, and you wont see anyone else on it except locals. andagua has pretty surreal topiary in the town square too,

cheers
gregor
Post edited at 21:25
In reply to all:

Wow - been in transit for the last day, and some sterling tips have stacked up in my absence. Many thanks to all.

My instinctive approach is to avoid both crowds and trekking companies, so the alternative treks are immediately attractive. Knew the combined experience of UKC would come up trumps again.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...