UKC

Allergy to finger tape glue - alternatives?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 francois 15 Aug 2014
Hi, last time I taped up my hands I ended up with a bad rash and I think I'm allergic to the glue in the finger tape. I'm planning a bit of jamming training at Hen Cloud and I think I'd benefit from a tape glove. Are there any hypoallergenic alternatives and if so where could I buy some?

Cheers,

Francois
 Stevie989 15 Aug 2014
In reply to francois:

Could try Medical tape from the chemist?

its pretty much the same thing is it not? Might not be as hardy. (might not be any different at all!)
 mrdigitaljedi 15 Aug 2014
In reply to francois:

dont bother there isnt anything avalible that i can find, i suffer from fingertape n get tiny blisters where its been in contact.

ive learned to live with cut/grazed/sore hands now.
 marsbar 15 Aug 2014
In reply to francois:

I have found boots zinc oxide tape ok, and micropore tape.
 Nige M 15 Aug 2014
In reply to francois:

I am allergic to the adhesive used on some brands of finger tape but not to that used on others. I definitely have no allergic reaction to Strappel tape. Just try a different brand and put a small strip on your forearm to test for a reaction first.
 Kai 16 Aug 2014
In reply to francois:

Buy some crack gloves.

These are great:

http://www.ocun.cz/en/products/technical-aids/crackgloves.html
 marsbar 16 Aug 2014
In reply to Nige M:

Im ok with strappel too. Couldnt remember the name.

Elastoast and the see through patches they use in the nhs are terrible on my skin.
OP francois 27 Aug 2014
In reply to francois:

I also get these miniblisters who secrete some kind of fluid, so not pleasant. So I might try some other brands and test on some small areas of skin. Failing that I'll either get crack gloves or man up and get some proper grit rash on the hands!
 jon 27 Aug 2014
In reply to francois:

Most people who allergic are OK with Strapal.
 Steve nevers 27 Aug 2014
In reply to francois:

Dicks climbing had some tape in there a few weeks back, more of a cloth feel to the tape itself and a much milder glue, not sure if it'll help you but i find it leaves very little to no glue on my fingers and now you mention it I also had small bumps on the sides of my fingers before caused by blocked pores which i haven't noticed since using this stuff:

http://www.dicksclimbing.com/collections/frontpage/products/i-bbz-coloured-...

As i say, the more cloth feel to it means it seems to absorb sweat/moisture a little, (which is annoying to be honest) and the softer glue means a badly secured piece will 'slide' down your finger in time, but for strapping pulleys its fine, and it does bind to itself nicely so would work for gloves etc.

Jenny C 27 Aug 2014
In reply to francois:

A few people have recommended Strappal - the sport version of this has recently been rebranded as Dream Tape (same stuff, just a different label).
http://www.betaclimbingdesigns.com/products/brands/climb/dream-tape/dream-t...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...