UKC

Wild Camping Northumberland ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Beano 22 Aug 2014
Hi

I know there are fairly strict guidelines to wild camping but are there any areas you can go in northumberland ?

Thanks
 Mark Bull 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Beano:

Legally, you have no rights, but in practice anywhere on CRoW access land should be fine if you behave sensibly.

Billhook 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Beano:
You live in Northumberland and you've been climbing 20 years.!??
Amazing question then.

Mark's suggestion =100% + you can 'go' anywhere provided no one notices!
Post edited at 13:27
OP Beano 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

Been Climbing for 20 yrs yes .... only moved to northumberland 3 yrs ago !
 JDal 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Beano:

You need to be careful, some of the places we'd have used to camp at have been taken over by the shooting brigades, so it may be quiet when you pitch your tent - but hordes of quads/beaters or just a gamekeeper may suddenly arrive at some ungodly hour and cause havoc. Make sure the tent's down first thing.
OP Beano 22 Aug 2014
In reply to JDal:

Thanks for your reply's think its easier to head over to the lakes.

Thanks
 Brass Nipples 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Beano:

Plenty of places. Pitch late, leave early and you'll be fine.
 Alan M 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Beano:

Northumberland is huge and wild looking with not that many people around. I would guess, pick any wild/semi-wild location and use common sense (i.e no multi-day base camp, fire, big groups etc etc and you will be fine.

I have managed to wild camp in places like Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Shropshire etc along river banks and never had an issue ever. I imagine from the times I have been to Northumberland I could go missing for several days and not be found camping up there.

Enjoy
OP Beano 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Alan M:

Thanks Alan

Yeah done loads of winter walking all around the cheviots so like you said there can be times when theres nobody around and there has been times when I've been to areas like henhole and bloodybush edge and not seen a single soul !.

I've got a MLD Tarp which is really low profile anyway and I'd only bivvy up last night so no problem there.

Just looking at heading up there soon for some bikepacking for a few nights.

Thanks again for the reply's
 pass and peak 25 Aug 2014
In reply to Beano:
Henhole is a great spot, Park at Heathpool, walk up the valley and into the Henhole, make sure to go up past the last/largest waterfall and there's a flat spot or 2 near the stream (watch out in heavy downpour)You'll be out of sight from everyone and has a dramatic setting. Or try the other side, base of Bizzel Crags, bit closer to civilization but if you observe the pitch at dusk and take down after dawn you'll be alright. If your worried about shooting, grouse season finished ages ago and pheasant's won't start until well into September and are usually low down, camp up high and you'll be alright and you can always pop into Scotland on the other side of the fence!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...