UKC

lightweight waterproofs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alasdair19 25 Aug 2014
Any recommendations? fabric options the gore active is certainly high profile but what about other options pertex shield dri clime,
 Firestarter 25 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

Berghaus paclite work for me.
needvert 25 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

eVent cuben fiber looks interesting.
 Bloodfire 25 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

I just bought the Berghaus paclite ones too and they are very good. Now I have a pair of ME salopettes for when the weather is bad full stop and the 'throw in the bag' ones for the mixed days (I reckon I'll use them a lot!)

Go Outdoors will price match them and give an additional 10% off so I got them for around £72. Bargain for something that works and will last.

You might even get them cheaper now if you hunt around online first... or be noble and support your local shop (mine IS GoOutdoors).

I don't work for Berghaus
 AlanLittle 26 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

Haglöfs stuff is good. I have the LIM Ultimate jacket, mine is about five years old but has been getting plenty of exercise in this years alpine "summer" and still works. Very light, excellent cut & construction quality as one would expect from Haglöfs, etc.

Also recently bought a pair of Mountain Equipment drilite trousers to replace an old thoroughly shredded pair. They seem pretty good, so the jacket version would presumably work too and might be a cheaper option.

timmeehhhh 26 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

I love my Rab Myriad, as it feels both softer and more substantial than Gore Active jackets.

That said, some of my friends have had underwhelming experiences with Rab Neoshell durability...
 TobyA 26 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

I've had Marmot driclime trousers for years, rarely worn but often carried. Seems perfect for that sort of thing. This season's newest Marmot driclime stuff looks really good, breathability supposedly better than the OK but not brilliant breathability of the older stuff like my troos. The jacket designs are more techy now as well.

I have a Marmot Paclite jacket http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1971 it's wonderfully light but a bit sweaty if you try to wear it while hiking hard etc. Again, good for just in case, but not the best for regular wear.
needvert 26 Aug 2014
In reply to needvert:
> eVent cuben fiber looks interesting.

Expanding on previous post... http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

Was the company I had in mind, though there could be others. Not sure if you want to go that light, but the large jacket is 165g, and the large rainpants are 113g.

You'd be wandering around with a pretty cutting edge fabric, so there's not a whole lot of experience about with it. I'm thinking of making a bivy sack out of some of it, having had good experience with eVent and cuben fibre seperately thus far - why not mix em!
Post edited at 09:56
In reply to needvert:
Cuben doesn't have a good reputation for resistance to abrasion*, so I wouldn't think it would be a great idea for a robust waterproof. An emergency, ultra-lightweight waterproof maybe; 'light, strong, cheap: pick any two'.

* whilst it's widely used by the super-ultralight weenies who frequent backpackinglight.com, even they accept that its abrasion resistance is very much its weak point; lots of threads there about cuben things, mostly shelters, but also other uses that may not use its properties sensibly (cuben wallets, for instance...)

BPL's MYOG forum:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_for...

Post edited at 12:53

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...