UKC

Chamonix recommendations for non climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PJD 26 Aug 2014
Hi, Off to Chamonix area next week with a non climbing partner. While I do have a few plans in mind, I'd appreciate any recommendations for walks, via ferrate (easy, not too exposed) and any high points you can walk to.
Thanks in advance. P.
 Ramblin dave 26 Aug 2014
In reply to PJD:

We very much enjoyed the walk up from Le Buet via Tre les Eaux to the Pointe de la Terrasse, heading back down past the Refuge de Loriaz. Fantastic day out with amazing views, very varied scenery, and some mild chain-pulling on the way up. You can get the bus or train to Le Buet for free with the tourist card thingy.
 CurlyStevo 27 Aug 2014
In reply to PJD:

If you can get to do the walk across the vallee Blanche glacier (guided) it's amazing. If not take the telecabin across as this is also highly recommended.
 Mike-W-99 27 Aug 2014
In reply to PJD:

The dinosaur footprints at Emosson are worth a visit. Signed path to them.
 deepstar 27 Aug 2014
In reply to PJD:

The Grand Balcon Nord is a lovely walk,access from Montenvers or Plan D'Aiguille.
 Doug 27 Aug 2014
In reply to deepstar:

My non climbing partner enjoyed the other Balcon - le Flegere cablecar to start, detour to the Lac Blanc, then on to the Col de Montets. I think we then walked by some pleasant paths on the other side of the valley to Argentière & the train back to Chamonix

But needs good visibility for the views across to Mt Blanc, les Aiguilles etc.
OP PJD 27 Aug 2014
In reply to PJD:

OK, thanks all, looks like some good variations to the current plans.
 jon 27 Aug 2014
In reply to PJD:

All good suggestions. You'll find them and lots of others here: http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/663/title/chamonix-mounta...
 Merlin 27 Aug 2014
In reply to PJD:

Walk into the Le Tour glacier only takes a few hours, stay in the Albert Premiere hut, great views of Aguille du Chardonnay and Aguille du Tour.
 Louise Stone 27 Aug 2014
In reply to PJD:

The balcons are all great walks. Also great are walks from Montenvers station to Signal Forbes, from la Flegere or Index to Lac Blanc, walking up to see the Argentiere Glacier up close, likewise the Bossons glacier, the Aiguillette de Possettes which gives 360 deg views of both Mont Blanc range and Aiguilles Rouges. There are grade 1 scrambles that don't need a rope in the Aiguilles Rouges (which have stunning views back to the Mont Blanc range) - get a guidebook to locate the routes easily.

Via ferratas: they call the ladders down to the Mer de Glace a via ferrata but really it's just lots of ladders, but can be impressive enough to non-climbers. Nearest proper via ferrata is at Passy - info downloadable on-line.
 Louise Stone 27 Aug 2014
In reply to PJD:

Also, you didn't ask, but I feel compelled to point all newcomers to Chamonix to the best cake shop in the world (I may be biased, I haven't visited all the cake shops in the world): http://www.chamonix.com/aux-petits-gourmands-patisserie-salon-de-the,vie-no...

The tartes are superlative.
 LakesWinter 27 Aug 2014
In reply to PJD:

The summer luge is good fun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...