UKC

San Vito Lo Capo in NW Sicily

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robmwatt 27 Aug 2014
Hi
We are off to San Vito Lo Capo in NW Sicily in October.
Flights and place to stay are booked, the info on this site is good, however we are looking for other recommendations such as best area,s to climb, recommended routes to cover grades from 5c to 6c / 7a
Best place to stock up on food
Any info on deep water soling and best guide book to purchase, thanks for any details
 kylo-342 27 Aug 2014
In reply to jasper11:

Sicily Rock – San Vito Sport Climbing Guidebook is the one to get. Lots of info in that. Only recently published so relatively up to date.
OP Robmwatt 27 Aug 2014
In reply to kylo-342:

Thanks I will look one out
In reply to jasper11:

take it you've checked Jim Titts website? Some good information

http://www.bolt-products.com/ClimbSicily.htm
 scott titt 27 Aug 2014
In reply to jasper11:

Sicily Rock is available here;- http://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=357_465&products_id=698...
It is sold out in San Vito, the next edition is in preparation but may not be ready for October, updates are available locally.
Best supermarket for a big shop is the Simply, on the left as you leave Custonacci, the Sisa in San Vito also has all you will need.
As for best routes, they are all good!
There is some DWS here, http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=19785 but not a lot of info available.
OP Robmwatt 28 Aug 2014
In reply to scott titt:

Thanks for the info, that's great
 Pete Dangerous 29 Aug 2014
In reply to jasper11:

The DWS is easy but really fun. Quite isolated though

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/10446025_101...
Schnell 30 Aug 2014
In reply to scott titt:

Hi, sorry for the hijacking. I've just noticed the post about the guide being sold out. I'm off to san vito next week and don't have a guide. I had been planning to buy one out there. also I'm in ireland so it probably wouldn't arrive in time if ordered from the bmc. Are there other guides available locally that would do, even if not quite as good?
 Shone 30 Aug 2014
In reply to jasper11:
Be sure to visit the fish shop at the top of the high street. It's a front for the mafia of course, but awesome catch of the day. Felt guilty on buying bluefin tuna, but my god it was superb.
Enjoy!

In reply to Schnell:

see my link above for topos
 scott titt 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Schnell:

Yes other guides are available, the Climbing Map from Versante Sud has a new edition, available at El Bahira or at YMCA climbing house (Daniele Arena's shop/bar), worth a visit, diagonally across the road from the second petrol station as you enter town.
 hedgepig 27 Sep 2014
In reply to scott titt:

Hi Scott

Are the climbing topos on the bolt-products website all now incorporated in the San Vito guide?
This thread and the website do give an additional angle on the scene there. (and another thread is useful with list of 5/5+ climbs for starters.)

We are off there next Saturday!
 jimtitt 28 Sep 2014
In reply to hedgepig:

Sure, there have been two or three new editions of the guide since they were posted! The 4th edition of Sicily Rock (a green cover) from Gebro Verlag is available from the end of this month and is up to date to the beginning of September 2014. Which edition will be available in San Vito next week I don´t know.
 hedgepig 28 Sep 2014
In reply to jimtitt:

Thanks, 2014 guide coming too late for me, we have got the 2013 guide with the red cover.
 Exocet 11 Oct 2014
In reply to jasper11:
Bit off topic but what would it be like to climb temp wise end of April. Which way do the crags face? Would end of march be better? Want to avoid the Easter hols so it's a bit of an extreme window at either end.
 scott titt 12 Oct 2014
In reply to exocet:

End of April will be better without a doubt, it gets too hot for most pasty northerners in June.
There are crags that face most ways,the most popular, Salinella,faces generally West.
In April you will still be wanting a sunny crag in the morning and shade later.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...