UKC

Alpine/UK Scrambling Rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 28 Aug 2014
I am looking into purchasing a new rope for alpine mountaineering, and UK summer and winter scrambling. I am looking for it to be as light as possible, I was looking at the Mammut Serenity Superdry, probably in the 50m length (my current rope is a 35m 10mm, which seems to work well for two on the rope although a little short for some abseils).

Would the Serenity work well for these uses? has anyone got any experience using it? I was also looking at the Beal Rando 30 for less technical routes. Would the Rando work for UK scrambling as well, or is it more specifically for glacier/walking purposes?

Also, I have an old harness lying around that I no longer use (slightly too big for me) its had moderate use, and I have had it for about 5-6 years, what's the best thing to do with old harnesses? Can they be recycled?

Thanks

Roberttaylor 28 Aug 2014
In reply to echo34:

Technique extreme in chamonix do good prices on 20, 30, 40m skinny ropes.
needvert 28 Aug 2014
In reply to echo34:

> I am looking into purchasing a new rope for alpine mountaineering, and UK summer and winter scrambling. I am looking for it to be as light as possible, I was looking at the Mammut Serenity Superdry, probably in the 50m length (my current rope is a 35m 10mm, which seems to work well for two on the rope although a little short for some abseils).

If as light as possible is really the criteria, then this thread may be of interest: http://www.mountainproject.com/v/climbing-on-a-single-halftwin-rope/1070018...

> Would the Serenity work well for these uses? has anyone got any experience using it? I was also looking at the Beal Rando 30 for less technical routes. Would the Rando work for UK scrambling as well, or is it more specifically for glacier/walking purposes?

I've got a 30m rando I use for interesting walks and adventures where I may wish I had a rope if I didn't have one, which I guess is what scrambling is. Interesting thing about the rando is that beal rate it for 5 falls in a single strand 0.8FF 80kg configuration. It's quite a supple rope, coming from someone who mostly owns Mammut ropes.

You could recycle it yourself, I harvested all the ziplock buckles off my retired harness
In reply to echo34: I'd say that 50m is too long for most UK lightweight scenarios. A 40m lightweight single is currently on my wishlist and I think a Serenity would be ideal.

If you need a longer abseil you can always carry 10m-20m of 5mm cord or 5.5mm dyneema and rig to descend on a single strand.
 Brass Nipples 29 Aug 2014
In reply to echo34:

I use a 30m half for scrambling. Most often it's to protect those less experienced on exposed sections.
 drsdave 10 Sep 2014
In reply to echo34:

I use a 50m serenity and swear by it. Its light, dry coated and if you're ever doing a cuillin route you'll be glad you brought 50m

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...