UKC

Easy multipitch routes at low altitude in Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperstarDJ 28 Aug 2014
I'm heading over to Snowdonia at the weekend with the aim of doing some multipitch mountain routes (stuff on Tryfan East Face maybe?) at low grade - vdiff/s/hs. The forecast is a bit mixed so does anyone have any suggestions for multipitch routes that are a bit lower and likely to be more sheltered from the weather if it does look a bit iffy? Routes with nice roomy belays would be good as my second is not an experienced multi-pitcher.

Bwlch y Moch is already on my list by I guess it'll be pretty rammed.

Thanks,

David
 GrahamD 28 Aug 2014
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Tremadog is always good for iff forecasts. You can look at routes in areas away from Bwlch y Moch such as Bramble Butress. Idwal might be OK but not particularly spacious and likely more crowded.
 jezb1 28 Aug 2014
In reply to SuperstarDJ:
Tremadog is the go to venue if it's wet in the hills, wasn't too busy last weekend.

In the hills, there's lots of easy stuff on Milestone, close to the road for escaping to the cafe!

Clogwyn yr Oen in the Moelwyns is good in the wet or mixed weather.
Post edited at 15:49
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

tryfan bach?

if you count 2 pitches as multipitch

the 'face' routes between the cracks were really quite good i thought, and easier than the given grade,

gregor
 GrahamD 28 Aug 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Moelwyns is a good call. Very grippy even in the wet
 Ramblin dave 28 Aug 2014
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
> tryfan bach?

> if you count 2 pitches as multipitch

I don't really know why people are always so keen on Tryfan Bach as a venue - I've done boulder problems with more of an adventurous, mountaineering atmosphere. I'd agree that Moelwyns is a good suggestion, though. Or just go to Tremadoc anyway - I've normally been there in fairly marginal conditions, but it's never seemed that busy.
Post edited at 16:51
 Craigyboy13 28 Aug 2014
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

milestone on try fan some really nice routes 3-4 pitches close to the road.

or slate?
In reply to Ramblin dave:

OP says inexperienced second. its not a bad place to start, and i've had a couple of good afternoons there

and if the second takes it in their stride, its not that far to tryfan E face and the longer routes there, or walk round to milestone buttress
OP SuperstarDJ 29 Aug 2014
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. I guess we'll see what happens with the weather!
 CurlyStevo 29 Aug 2014
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

I think Tremadoc is really good. It's also THE wet weather crag in the area.
 Trangia 29 Aug 2014
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Flying Buttress and Spiral Stairs on Dinas Cromlech are two great easy classics in the Pass.
 Oujmik 29 Aug 2014
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Christmas Curry is a 3 star classic at Tremadog, it starts innocently enough with some awkward blocky clambering, but the combined exposure and technicality on the last two pitches had me pretty gripped (I was seconding to an instructor, I'd have been bricking it if I was leading, but then I'm not really a Severe leader). If your second doesn't normally climb severe you might want to break them in with something like Cracked Slab which is much much milder and a good place to practice your multipitch techniques.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...